Finish one/Start Another


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Gujarat » Ahmedabad » Adalaj
February 9th 2012
Published: February 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Quilted Wall HangingQuilted Wall HangingQuilted Wall Hanging

Notice the bags of scraps!
The homework assignment: start hand quilting by doing embroidery on the rose panels.

The women were delighted to show us their embroidery skills. Apparently, embroidery is still a classroom subject, especially in the convent schools. Although quilting is best done with a running stitch, most were determined to show us several other styles which slowed everything to nearly a standstill. Actually, that was fine with us since we weren't sure what we were going to do next.

However, during the night, awake at 2 a.m. due to jet lag, I thought about using the bags of scraps to make a Chinese coin quilt. This got Bill involved with cutting strips, and he quickly learned that Medeena was excellent, and so she had to teach Hamida, who was not quite as precise. Fortunately, total preciseness is not required for coins. The cutters cut many strips, and these have been sent home with four women to be completed by next Monday.

I found a bag of squares, irregularly cut into 2 to 3 inch squares. What would Mother do?

Mother had been given a similar bag of squares, also irregulaly cut including 30-yr old polyesther. She sewed them onto
Quilted Wall HangingQuilted Wall HangingQuilted Wall Hanging

Farnaz and her daughter Bahtul
long black strips, and then cut those apart to make a checkerboard pattern. Voila! Perfect training. Medeena quickly, very quickly on the industrial machines stitched the squares onto black strips.

We atarted Hamida cutting the two-patch blocks apart and two days later, she is much more precise in her cutting. Two days later, Feroza is amazingly precise in stitching so that the points are pretty exact. Perfect training!

Malini, who is both office manager and creative art director, can "see" this quilt and she now has Feroza adding strips to the 4-patch.

I wish that I could upload some pictures, but it just isn't happening on this computer/wifi...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Nearly Finished Nearly Finished
Nearly Finished

Wall Hanging


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb