The Capital: Old and New


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Panaji
April 7th 2007
Published: April 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bus Ride OutBus Ride OutBus Ride Out

Sittin up front with the driver on my way out of Palolem.
Old Goa, appropriately enough, is the old capital of Goa, and situated just 9km from the new capital of Panaji. I'd heard it was worth checking out, so gave myself a night there to see the sights. After 3 buses to Panaji (and another 1 to Old Goa) I arrived with only about 45 mins to check out all the sights. So hammering it around on foot, I managed to see most of what there was to see, which consisted mainly of old churches in various states of ruin. The highlight would have been the Basilica of Bom Jesus which contains the incorruptible body of Saint Francis Xavier, which is basically some dead dude's body that won't decay (though bits of it have been ripped off it and stolen). Unfortunately, it's not possible to see this undecayed, partially dismembered corpse, and I was understandably upset.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Old GoaOld Goa
Old Goa

One of the old churches around Old Goa.
Trippy TreeTrippy Tree
Trippy Tree

There were a few of these around Old Goa. Not sure what their story is.
Super Beef CentreSuper Beef Centre
Super Beef Centre

Conveniently located next to the Super Mutton Chicken Cente. Everything from tongues to brains.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb