I can't help but be curious


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Palolem
October 13th 2009
Published: October 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Goran shooting the pellet gunGoran shooting the pellet gunGoran shooting the pellet gun

They had a pellet gun that you could target shoot at, pretty fun. (They also took target practice at the dozens of crows flying about, but never hit one.)
How to describe Janet and Goran? Intriguing I guess. On first blush we thought they were just a quirky married couple. He’s constantly running around asking if we’d like a drink. He’s sarcastic and a bit anxious, and really funny. She, on the other hand, is … dreamy and has a certain quiet charm about her. While she keeps to herself, which creates a certain intrigue about the two of them, Goran chats openly about their spats (“You’ll have to talk to Janet about that, she’s not talking to me right now.”) and constantly wants to be in on the action; joining us for a drink on the patio, taking us for tours on the scooter, inviting us to join them for dinner.

There’s also an interesting uncertainty as to what their “story” is, not that it’s any of our business. They both wear wedding bands and give the appearance of being a couple. But one night when I asked them how long they had been married, he (not so smoothly) hid his left hand and answered that they weren’t married, and that it was complicated. I of course avoided the topic directly but nudged them indirectly to figure things out more. All we’ve gathered so far is that before this they lived in London, he was a graphic designer and she was a masseuse to the stars (for the likes of Madonna and Gwyneth Paltrow) and that Goran knew Janet for 8 years before convincing her to travel the world for a year together and then settle in southern India and run the VG. In the end it doesn’t matter, they were gracious and welcomingly and made us laugh through our silly travel mishaps.

It may seem odd that I’m writing about this, but part of my curiosity stems from the fact that when traveling to secluded locales, most of the expats living there are escaping from something and it’s interesting to find out just what it is. It’s also partially because when meeting people like them, I often wonder if I (we) could do something like this. As much as I want to say yes, it’s usually a “no” that answers (and Jared agrees). But that doesn’t stop me from wondering and learning other people’s stories that brought them there.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb