Powercuts & Sunsets


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Benaulim
February 13th 2008
Published: February 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Evening,

It's Wednesday 13th Feb in India. Just to avoid confusion!

Just a shorter entry this time since we've pretty much been doing the same all week-beach stuff!! After writing my last blog entry we had dinner on the beach while watching the most amazing sunset-every day its beautiful as you literally see the sun disappear in sections till there is nothing left. After that we returned to our shack balcony to write in our journals- we are so on top of the keeping memoirs-for now-when everylight in the entire beachfront and village went out!! After about 10minutes of sitting in the dark i decided to investiagate so went to ask the hotel(shack) managers (people who work there) and there laid back response was.....sometimes its a minute sometimes its an hour!! taking back with me some candles we forced ourselves into getting into bed and realistaically used our torches not the candles as we were in a wooden hut!! After lying in bed at an absurdly early hour and trying to get to sleep all our lights then came back on full blast!!

Since then we have had 2days relaxing at the beach or more like in the shade as Libby's legs are burnt and im not a great sunworshipper anyway, preferring the post 4pm hour. The Eriteans book by thomas Kenealy is keeping me dualy entertained though!! Other than that the only news is my 5 mosquito bites all in the same part of my leg- luckily we're well into our malaria tablets now and i have a vietnamese medcine to stop them swelling as per usual!!

We discovered this little gem in town labelled on the map as a general store but in reality being like a sainsburys or the closest we're going to get to one!! After discovering chocolate and more importantly sparkling water, yay, we retired to our rooms in heaven!! I'd initially decided to forgo a luxury like conditioner and embrace washing the ever growing curls (afro) with 2in1 i can now safely say i've tried it and hated it!! So a bottle of conditioner is now safely in the essentials bag, and i feel a lot better for it.

I think im getting to the point where im beginning to feel the desperate need to be clean- not so much myself as im washing in cold water daily but my clothes....oh to be clean! I'm using the little travel wash but it cannot compare to washing and ironing at home so now im refusing to use any of my new clean clothes instead using them to smell and remember what it was like not to have a black white t-shirt!! Upon arrival in Bangkok im heading straight for a washing machine via boots.

Libby's been suffering the delhi belly over the last day or 2 but so far i seem ok touch wood, so now wondering if its better to go back to just veg but think i'll probably stick to the fish as we are by the sea. We've eaten all the same food bar one breakfast porridge vs pancake but i suppose different people react in different ways. It's not stopped us doing anythng though.

Although its hot here during the day- as in im now stuck to my seat and its 530pm- the nights can get cool as our hut doesnt stop the breeze and last night after much shivering i decided to get out the sleeping bag although not open it-heaven forbid any sand gets in!!

Anyway plan is still leave here on friday overnight and head to the hills- although not sure if there will be the internet so may not have a chance to update until either monday when we spend the WHOLE day killing time before a midnight flight to bangkok or else when we are in thailand itself. keep reading and commenting, messaging etc really does keep me sane!!!

lots of love

sophie

ps now going to try and upload some photos although not sure how one does that in a busy frantic internet cafe......wish me luck!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



13th February 2008

so fast...so slow
Well I cannot believe you’re moving countries so soon! To the hills then Bangkok could be a book title! It feels like you’ve just arrived in India. Yet you’ve obviously filled yourselves with experiences – so move on. I gather from Maudie that Bangkok airport has a Boots if you need any medicines for tummies or over tanned skins, or bites. Your image of clean clothes will of course play brilliantly to any mothers reading your blog – fre-breeze ( or something like it) is surely the smell solution to dirty clothes? It reminds me of my grandmother who used to use dry shampoo – I was convinced it did no good, but it smelled ok. Keep enjoying and writing. Love J
14th February 2008

no snakes then...
great that you have been able to chill out a little after those classic cities of the North! Beach resort (??) looks bear authentic-hope our Kerala experience throws ina few more comforts. Pleased the conditioner is lifting the spirits. Can't believe it's only 2 weeks-you seem to have been away for ages and we miss you loads. love you mum xxx
14th February 2008

In awe
wow Soph it all sounds so exciting!!!! Almost 2 weeks in to your amazing journey.....I love reading your story and hearing all about how you are getting on, proud of you. Looking forward to the next installment from Thailand.
15th February 2008

love the photos
really great to see some photos-it looks amazing. Accommodation not too bad. classic monkey, love the tea photo of you and the lassi. Is Libby with you??
17th February 2008

wwwooow!!!!!!
everything looks so amazing so far (especially the indian trousers, which i hope in time, will catch on in England, so that I can by my own pair!) hope everything is going well, and good luck on your journey to Thailand!!!!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb