Sunshine & Snakes


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Benaulim
February 11th 2008
Published: February 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello Hello,

This is my second attempt at writing this after i lost the first lot when someone changed something! Anyway from where i left you-in luxury- we have been busy crossing the country! After updating our blogs and having relaxing showers we headed out to see the sights of jaipur. What we hadnt noticed was the different scales of our maps relative to other towns, so after ages on foot and appearing to make no progress coupled with the plethora of cars(major industrialised city) we gave in to the rickshaws. First we headed to the palace which was made out of sandstone and marble all of which glistened in the early evening sunlight! Upon seeing a fort in the distance, the tiger fort, we decided to head up there to see the so-called pink city from a view. After a long and bumpy rickshaw journery (made worse by a desperate need for the loo) we arrived 5minutes before closing. However as we were there for the photo spot werent too bothered(plus it was getting increasingly cold). the city didnt look so much pink as massive, stretched out in every direction, the surronding mountains etc made it beautiful although there was a moment where we could've been looking at any city- although a lot flatter than most. For dinner, and almost a week since leaving home and meat, we branched into chicken, at a relatively busy restaurant, filled with westerners, anyway one piece (my one) turned out to look and taste nice although the other wasnt looking so good.......still a bit of meat was nice.

Having recklessly brought that expensive flight the day before to head to goa we awoke at a normalish time, 8am, to catch our flight. When at 915 our taxi hadnt arrived we briefly panicked, now imagining spending a weeks budget for nothing and having to suffer a 30hour train journey after, however the cab appeared and after arriving at what must be the worlds smallest airport we found our flight to be delayed by 30mins, then 1hour before finally taking off 2hours behind schedule!! Upon arriving in Goa and collecting our bags-affectionatley named bob and fred- we decended upon Pre-paid taxi CHAOS!! Everyone tries to match u up with your taxi etc while in the heat which was new to us! Eventually finding number 3220 we headed to the capital for the first night on the basis I wanted to see the churches etc of old goa the next morning. It would then appear however that Goa is the most expensive place ever and also the busiest-again both things we probably should've guessed. After trying 3hotels in our price range we headed to one slightly out of it, on the basis the rest were full, as luck would have it the last deluxe 15pound a night room was gone, the time was now 430 and fearing we wouldnt get anywhere we took the 40pound room, we are sure however we will stop spending money like this at some point! The room was lovely but as we went with a view of tighten our belts we just brought a plane ticket were scandalsied by our (my) willingless to spend money! The silver lining to this was the 2channels showing football, much to my delight, although sad it wasnt derby day.....

For the first morning on saturday I awoke without shaking and to see sunlight gleaming in, we had to check out of our room by 9am, so headed down, after contemplating takin a hanger for the expense. A nice hot shower woke us up- sadly getting to used to this luxury backpacking! Although india is not the place to take short cuts.....

Old Goa lay ahead, via a bread and butter breakfast which was acutally lumps of garlic butter with a crumb of bread, with massive cathedrals and churchs, the number of indian (presumably christian) tourists was immense, the setting is calm and green-so not india!We walked around in the heat however were doing all this with rucksacks, my 17kilos was weighing me down so headed back to the capital to get a bus. Upon seeing many state buses pass us, i was convinced i wasnt willing to rough it that much so asked our rickshaw to take us to the private bus stand, he clearly didnt understand as we were thrust into the cahos of a bus station. However.....in comparison to train stations they were relatively peaceful and there was a long orderly queue to buy tickets from. After payin 19rupees i hopped on a bus, which i could see slowly filling up as i was queing and then was shouted GO GO GO as i recieved my tickets so we ran to the last 2seats and were on our way. The experience was not as bad as i'd thought, thankfully. But the journey was only 45mins so......

We headed to the train station in Margao so we wouldnt have to return from the beach until we left Goa. Booked a ticket for friday night from Margao to Mumbai, 12hours, overnight, 3rd A/C class-tried for 2nd but only one seat (bed) left. Increasingly apprehensive about this but we must......

Rickshaw took us to the beach, although we had to walk the last bit, although we'd rang ahead to book a place for the first (this is sunday) night we couldnt see it so stopped at Cocohuts, also recommended by our third member-the rough guide-and have now decided to stay there for the week as its a lot cheaper. Finally on a beach, in the sunshine, eating food that isnt indian!!! prawns and fish yesterday! Although Benaulim is Cobra central- warnings not to go near the paddy fields etc, so we're needless to say staying clear. The dogs are also EVERYWHERE- seem really friendly but theres no way im going near them with the threat of rabies......As I lay on the beach, reading, relaxing, i'm constantly interupted by sellers, women sitting down, introducing themselves etc, which makes it a lot less relaxing. We're now learning to ignore them......but feel rude in doing so but i cant carry a drum around the world!!

Final note on how many animals are literally everywhere- elephants, camels, cows, goats, dogs and massive monkeys wonder the busy streets all the time. its just like the movies!!

Anyway for now goodbye, we're eating more fish, staying by the sea until friday then heading for 2 days at a mountain place just outside of Mumbai- called Matheran, toy train etc exciting!

Hope everyone's well.......


Lots of love and thanks for all the comments/messages, good to know people are reading,

sophie xxxxxxxxx

p.s. didnt realise the last photos uploaded, so will try on thursday to do more!

Advertisement



11th February 2008

Wow soph ur descriptions of all the animals on the roads and the food and stuff are hilarious! so you! :) Hopefully ur still having an amazing time and the beach is fun. my cousins left england for 2 weeks in Goa yesterday so if you hear any loud greeks you'll know who they are haha! also stop spending money like water woman! xxx
11th February 2008

hello!
haha yeh i remember all the animals! lol i love these little blogs, make me really feel like im there! and little bits of it remind me of interrail tho urs is on a bigger scale! love you and miss you both! take care xxx
11th February 2008

Animals
Great to see that you're at home with animals - it will help with your return to the UK. Goa sounds good even if you are sharing with the cobras and the rabid dogs. Watch out that Bob and Fred don't make new friends with the snakes overnight(which one is which?). Bet you wish you'd spent the money on the rabies jabs, not least because it seems to take 24 hours even to get down the road. Love from all in France
11th February 2008

Hot and cold...
Well it sounds as if you are experiencing the extremes – hot /cold, life and dying on the streets, good chicken/ bad chicken, cheap rooms/expensive rooms! Trust me that is not expensive by the parental standards! And what a great description of sitting on the beech; much like a joint family holiday in my mind. Maudie has set off to Cambodia and I expect she’ll sort out internet access on Tuesday. Nearer your time zone than ours. We know she’s arrived but nothing else. Keep enjoying. Love Jeremy et al
12th February 2008

i was so shocked and worried for u when i saw the title of this entry but thank god you have thus far escaped the snakes! glad you're in the sun with nice food, sounds like things are looking up! hope u have a great week - dont burn!!!! xxxx

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb