Getting to Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Benaulim
February 6th 2008
Published: February 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Just a quick update- got my ticket to Goa (yes!) so got up very early to Chatripathi Shivaji Terminus, Mumbai's main station. I had no idea where to go or what to do, so looked a little lost. A (seemingly) helpful man dressed as staff asked where I was trying to go and took my ticket- big mistake! He escorted me to my train and right to my seat, and just when I was about to tip him for his kindness he demanded 100 rupees! Felt like a bit of a melon for getting duped, but oh well!

The train ride itself was a great experience. The train to Goa takes over 11 hours, so it's quite a journey. I sat with a nice Indian family, who talked to me and gave me bits of food. They nattered away and pottered around like they were at home, with the kids climbing all over the bunks and squealing at each other! It was like suddenly being thrown right into the family for a bit as they completely surrounded me.
Lots of people were so willing to talk to a complete stranger like myself, it was great to have met so many genuinely friendly people at once.

There were difficult times too, I think I must have been confronted by at least 10 beggars, all physically handicapped. Unlike walking past them on the street, being cornered by them is a very different matter, many do not leave unless you give them something- but then it just isn't possible to give to all of them. Got to get used to this...

Arriving in Goa I teamed up with a couple of Belgians, Jelle and Eva. They are nice and it is great to have company after being on my own for a week, although they seem to chain smoke all day!
We decided to check out the small coastal village of Benaulim, which is a fairly nice place but packed with middle aged europeans! We are the only visitors sub-30.

More has happened in the last few days, but nothing interesting! The food here is incredible, ridiculously cheap and massive variety. Have acquired a penchant for Banana Lassi (yoghurt based drink). And I still haven't got this shits!!

Next stop Hampi



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Friendly passengers!Friendly passengers!
Friendly passengers!

Sat with a lovely family. They gave me eggs!
A very sweet little girlA very sweet little girl
A very sweet little girl

and very cheeky!
Jelle and EvaJelle and Eva
Jelle and Eva

With trademark cigarette!
exhasting bike rideexhasting bike ride
exhasting bike ride

cycling on India's roads is like eating a stress sandwich


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb