Meditation beside Buddha


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Bihar » Bodh Gaya
June 9th 2006
Published: June 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The next stop on our journey in the sweltering heat was Bodghaya, a dusty little town in the middle of the fields about 8 hours or so North East of Calcutta.

There isn't really much to Bodhgaya, but it's fame comes from being the home to the Bodhi tree under which Prince Siddhartha meditated, became enlightened, and became the buddha. Today the tree is a mere grandson of the original, but the complex that houses it, it's accompanying temple, and the surrounding gardens are equally as peaceful as they must have been all those years ago, despite the hoardes of tourists that visit today.

The town is also home to a number of temples of monasteries from Buddhist countries around the world, each in their national style, which gives it a wee taste of international flavour and colour (behind the dust).

There isn't really much else to say, as we didn't really do a lot, though sitting under the tree was probably the most at peace I'd felt in days. If only there had been giant fans to cool the air I could have sat there all day.......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb