Havelock underwater....don't tell anybody we told you


Advertisement
Published: January 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

12 dives later...we can say it, this place is pretty amazing. I would not rate it top 5 in the world, but it is clearly above or in par with places like the Similans. Havelock is still in a discovery mode, as many exploring dives still take place every week. Last week, they just found one more site. A year ago, there was only 2 dive schools, today, there are six of them. The best sites we did are Jackson's Bar, Johny's Gorge and Dixon's Pinnacle. We dived with Dive India, and I can only recommend them, they do a truly great job. They have 4 boats, this give you the chance to chose every time where you want to dive. But be warned, I would consider Havelock as an "advanced" diver paradise. The reason is simple, the best sites are all between 18 and 30 meters, involving long...deep bottom time.

So you can basically dived the dives in two types, long, over 60 minutes fun times, and short (40 minutes) dives to avoid to go in deco time...

In term of marine life, this is a small paradise, as you can find nearly everything...all the macro life you want...shrimps, nudibranchs, etc. But also white tip sharks at nearly every dive. We saw a leopard shark...that I hadn't seen for year, and a first for Ma'ri. A lot of rays,even the big Marbled Sting Rays, plus the occasional turtle or two. On top of that, and may be the best are all the huge schools of pelagic...barracuda, giant trevally, etc.

Dive sites are all quite far using the type of boats all schools are using. Meaning a ride between 1 and 2 hours mst time. This give you the opportunity to slowly adjust you sun tan, not a bad thing at all. The crowd is mainly in their thirties and generally quite well dived...so you encounter very nice people. One of the very nice touch is the samosas in between dives...oh so good! You can understand that we are starting a great diving year. I can only recommend Vinnie's team at Dive India...they are seriously nice and professional. The boats take a max of 8 divers. Do not forget, this is very high seasons, and most of the days we were max 4 divers on the boat, I won't complain...

2009 was a great dive year...Oman, Hawai, Hin Muang/Hin Duang and Phi Phi, Gilis, Similans, Perenhtians, Similans, Djibouti and finally India...not a bad year. A lot already plan for 2010...I will not go in details, but let say my first dive in Europe, and also a very remote dive...with 200 meters visibility...pic your guess...Ma'ri is coming fast dangerously close to her 100th dive, and for me soon the 300 count...after 6 years of diving enjoying our small planet.

For now we are back on dry land. Next dive site is in only few weeks...another diver's nirvana...just be a little patient!

Oh yes, and the best of all...this year Leslie turn 10...meaning he will end the year with his open water junior PADI....a true diver family!

With love, see you soon...


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



8th January 2010

Giving the game away?
I was accused of this by some diving friends too ;) looks like a great spot - plenty of macro and some of the bigger critters too - good luck to Leslie with the OW!
18th January 2010

WoW!
An incredibly informative blog with fantastic pictures to match. Thanks for the inspiration guys.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb