Day #144: Dragon's Back Hike


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
August 23rd 2013
Published: September 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Dragon's Back Hike was named Time Out's Best Urban Hiking Trail in Asia. It is so-named because the rock formations on the path supposedly look like a dragon's spine, though this takes some imagination. It also isn't very urban - the views are mostly of the bays, islands and hills, with glimpses of urbanisation below from time to time. It is said to be very popular with Westerners since the Time Out article, but I only saw a couple of people on the whole walk and it was very peaceful and non-strenuous.

Everything about the walk is lovely: it starts from an unheralded bus stop on a quiet bus route over the hills, then climbs for a time through greenery and the occasional stream, then you emerge to incredible views over the islands and the bay - it looked like a tropical paradise, even in cloudy weather. From there it goes down through forests and finally emerges in a small town with a beautiful, quiet sandy beach with surfers and beachside cafes. The only downside is getting back - unless you do the return walk, there is only a twice-daily bus back to the city, which I had missed, so I had to get a taxi that was presumably waiting especially for people in my predicament.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb