Hello, Hong Kong!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
May 24th 2011
Published: May 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Since the last time me and the 'rents went out of the country for vacay was when I was in junior high (now I'm almost done with college), it seemed that another family trip was well over due.

And that's how I ended up in Hong Kong.

Day 1 : ARRIVAL

Since it was already dark when we made it to the hotel we just walked around and tried out the MTR system. You know, dipping our feet into Hong Kong a bit.

Day 2 : FUNFUNFUN

First we went in the early morning to the Big Buddha via MTR and walking, which is usually the way people get anywhere in Hong Kong. The Big Buddha was majestic. They've made the area into a well groomed little tourist area, without making it too modern and ruining the naturality of it all. There was about 200 steps we had to climb to get to the Big Guy but it was all good. In the rear end of the area was the Po Lin Monastery, where you can visit the temple and try out the vegetarian lunch the monks usually eat since they aren't allowed to eat any
HK streetsHK streetsHK streets

Cross lights around every corner in Hong Kong.
meat or artificial flavoring. I am very much the carnivore (I loathe vegetables - not as much as when I was a kid but still), even so it was a nice experience.

After that : DISNEYLAND!
If you try and google about Disneyland Hong Kong to your surprise you'll get quite a lot of bad reviews. From what I gathered some people said it wasn't as big as the other Disneylands in the world so it wasn't as enjoyable, someone even said it wasn't worth the money and time. Which is why, despite being a super Disney lover, I wasn't so keen on going here but decided to anyway since the family's never been. Plus, there was going to be the annual parade. But when I got there boy was I so wrong. GOING HERE WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT! And I wish I had more time to do all the things there. If you come here I suggest you give Disneyland the whole day, atleast from lunchtime till dusk. I had so much fun here I'm still wondering why people were being so negative in the reviews. Oh well, guess haters gonna hate.

Soon after Disneyland (and a
Hong Kong streets at nightHong Kong streets at nightHong Kong streets at night

Around Hillier St. Don't be fooled, it may look quite but that's just because it's in a quiter area. Places like Mongkok still buzz with people up till the middle of night.
frantic search for my bag I forgot - always pay attention to your belongings, people!) we rushed to catch our ferry cruise of the famous cityline. Even though I took a cruise (all you can eat buffet BOOYAH) you don't really need to in order to enjoy the cityline. You can also just catch a ferry ride at Victoria Harbour, but you won't be able to enjoy the moment as much with lesser time like that. The cityline was very pretty. Since it's such a tourist attraction I'm guessing it's mandatory from the government to have on big bright lights on the building to add to the line.

Day 3 : LAST DAY

It was the last day before heading back home the next. We wanted to see Macau but unfortunately due to wrong mapping and being late we arrived at Macau later than planned, which kind of screwed our schedule because I was wanting to have time to see Stanley Market after we got back to Hong Kong, but yeah we'll get back to the market later.
If you want to go to Macau it's probably best to stay a night rather than just go back and
Hollywood Road ParkHollywood Road ParkHollywood Road Park

Nice little park in the middle of the neighborhood. Western orient!
forth like us. You'll save a lot of time and hassle that way - TRUST ME. Macau is famous for it's gambling so if you're not looking for that there are plenty of historical landmarks to visit, albeit nothing really special. But if you're into that sort of thing - or maybe just want to take a break from the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong - you should definitely visit Macau. The architecture is very cute, you can feel the Portuguese but there is still some Chinese here and there. No MTR system here so you'll have to walk, take a cab or bus. I only got to see 2 or 3 landmarks, one of them being the great Ruins of St. Paul, don't miss out on that one!

Back in Hong Kong, there are quite a few markets to see. We were on a schedule so I had to pick one and I chose Stanley Market since it seemed to have a good name and reviews to it. I was right. It's a bit far South so you can't take the MTR there but you can take the #6 bus from Exchange, OR if you're too lazy/simply out of time like us you can take a cab which will cost you a little over 100 HKD. I may have not had the chance to see the other markets but I'm sure Stanley is the MUST-SEE. It's full with shops of cute Hong Kong things that are great for gifts or even yourself! Plenty of bargain prices and the sellers there have better english and attitudes than the other places in Hong Kong. It's also near the beach so you can grab a bite to eat while viewing the sunlight on the water. One of my most recommended places to visit in Hong Kong for sure.

After that we visited the MongKok area which is famous for having a lot of shops that sell a lot of things like electronics and clothing. We just walked around and finally got some dinner before heading back to the hotel.

Day 4 : GOING HOME

I stayed at the Central Park hotel which was on Hollywood Road. We were going to be picked up by shuttle bus around 12 PM so we managed to squeeze in a walk around the area. Around Hollywood Road all the way to the Sheng Wuen station is a really nice neighborhood to just take a stroll and see all the different shops. During our little walk we discovered some eateries that seemed really good, such a pity we didn't get to try them because we've been too busy exploring all the other places of Hong Kong that we didn't have time to explore our own location. But it was a nice walk anyway, and we took some time to hangout at the Hollywood Road Park which was just 1 meter or 2 from our hotel.

At 12 we were on our way back home~



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Po Lin Vegetarian LunchPo Lin Vegetarian Lunch
Po Lin Vegetarian Lunch

You can try out the veggie menu ala monastery when you visit the Big Buddha! Nice experience.
Disney ParadeDisney Parade
Disney Parade

The Disney Parade is FAB! Usually starts at 3.30 PM, but make sure you gather at Main Street earlier than that so you get a front row spot like I did.
HK citylineHK cityline
HK cityline

Look for a cruise or ferry ride to Victoria Harbour for the amazing cityline.
Ruinas de San PauloRuinas de San Paulo
Ruinas de San Paulo

The Ruins of St. Paul in Macau. Must see!
Vintage Chinese ChessVintage Chinese Chess
Vintage Chinese Chess

So many cute shops down at Stanley Market. Look at this awesome vintage chess set.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb