Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
July 23rd 2009
Published: August 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

My last trip in China was to Hong Kong. I left for Hong Kong right after my last final on Saturday 22nd and then jumped on a plane. I arrived in Hong Kong late and caught the last bus from Hong Kong island to my hostel on Nathan Road. My Hong Kong hostel was a VERY small single person room.

My first day in Hong Kong had a completely different feel compared to my other trips. Travelling alone felt different but I was also surprised how different Hong Kong was compared to China. The city was much more international compared to Chinese cities and was very clean. Even the behaviors were more western. People actually took standing on the right on escalators seriously and no eating or drinking was allowed on the subway. I spent my first day wandering around the Financial District of Hong Kong in the rain and then the afternoon at a Mueseum.

My second day I started the day at the Kowloon Pier. There I asked a German guy to take my picture and we got to talking and he decided to join my internary for the day. It was certainly a nice change from travelling alonge. He was 28yr old member of the German Army who was on the last leg of a month long vacation. Prior to Hong Kong he spent the majority of his time in Miami and Los Angelos. With him we went took the subway to LanTau island and then took a cable car, which offered great views, to the Big Buddha. After this we took a bus back down, walked around the beach, and then took a ferry back to Hong Kong island. We spent the afternoon just wandering Hong Kong island before taking taking the tram to The Peak, a hill that offers fantastic views of Hong Kong. The number of lights is just breathtaking. We got dinner together and then went our separate ways.

On Tuesday I decided to go visit Charles in Shenzhen, China, a friend I have known since 7th grade in England. He also moved to Texas at the same time as me and we both went to John Cooper for 11th and 12th grade. Although Shenzhen borders northern Hong Kong it still took an 1.5hrs to get there because you also have to go through customs to cross the border between Hong Kong and China. While Charles was working I took my first trip to the spa. It was a relaxing experience and I spent 4hrs and spent the equivalent of about 25USD. When you enter little Asian men help you disrobe and store you clothes and then give you a towel so you can take a shower. After taking a shower they give you some pajamas and you can relax in the men's spa area or go upstairs to the general recreation area where you relax in big chairs with TV. While their you can order food, drinks, or several manicure services. Unfortunately, there was no English on any of the menus and no one spoke English so I learned as I went along. When your ready you get your massage and then are free to leave or return to the general recreation area. It was an interesting experience. After that I did some more knock off shopping in Shenzhens giant 5 story market. After being in Hong Kong for a couple days I missed the intense Chinese haggling. After Charles got off work I met up with him and his roommate for dinner for all you can eat sushi and then he showed me some of his favorite places he hangs out. I spent the night at his apartment and then headed back to Hong Kong early the next morning.

After getting back to my hotel room, I took a quick shower and met up with Ethan, another student from my Shanghai study abroad program, and we took a trip to Maccau. Maccau is the Las Vegas of the East and is filled with casinos. After losing 10HKD at the slots we went to the more historic area of Maccau which was originally a Portuguese colony. The architecture reminded me more of Europe than China. We took the ferry back to Hong Kong to watch the 8:00pm light show from the Kowloon side of the harbor. It is the largest llight according tot heGuiness book of world records and it was fascinating to see a synchonized musical light show with the lights on the sides of skyscrapers. After this I went to bed and bid my last night in China farewell.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Victoria PeakVictoria Peak
Victoria Peak

A little sweaty and sunburned after a long day


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb