Chapter 2: Hong Kong (Part 4: Side Notes)


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
September 16th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Please note: Tori wrote this as therapy after visiting Japan. See the next post for more information.

Things that make Hong Kong awesome…

1. Water Pressure - Being tropical and experiencing an awful lot of rain means that there are no water restrictions which in turn means water is in abundance. Best. Showers. Ever.

2. Cable Cars - Hong Kong is obsessed with installing cable car systems to get you to places. The best bit is that they have some type of amazing feature - some are super long (5.7km to Lantau) or super hair-raising (Ocean Park) and always have jaw-dropping views.

3. The MTR - Whoever designed the MTR should be awarded the Noble Prize for Awesome (which we just instituted). This is a super slick, well planned, easy to use railway that leaves pretty much everywhere else for dead.

4. Octopus - It’s not just a card, it’s a way of life. These people are on fire with good ideas. Not only can you use it to pay for the MTR but also buses, the Star Ferry, the airport train line, the Peak Tram, the Trams in Central PLUS it is accepted at 7-11’s, Maccas, KFCs and all sorts of businesses - You can even use it in some of those toy dispensers outside supermarkets and side show games at Ocean Park. It is the greatest invention of all time. By far.

5. Markets - this place seriously knows how to do markets. You can buy anything and everything and at good prices. This is a good place to get souvenirs.

6. The Exchange Rate - In Hong Kong you feel like a King. Things are cheap to begin with, but man-o-man the exchange rate is fabulous. We were there for 10 days and we only spent $1500 dollars between us (not including accommodation) but that included all our food, transport, entry to things, and more than a document box sized quantity of souvenirs.

7. The Heat - Ok, so this may not be everyone else’s cup of tea, but we both prefer humid heat to dry heat. It is deliciously hot, and when it rains it doesn’t muck around - oh boy it rains! It really makes you feel like you are somewhere exotic.

8. It’s user-friendly - The people in charge in Hong Kong clearly recognise that to maintain status as a truly global city, they have got to make it easy to use, to get around and to communicate with locals and visitors. Every sign is bilingual, maps are all over the place, it is well signed (especially road names!) and most people have a basic grasp on English. As non-Cantonese speakers this really helps!! Thank you British Emprire!

9. The food - Mmmm dim sum. The food here is delicious. Yes, Dim Sum is a big part of it, but there is absolutely every option available. We had such a fantastic selection of goodies - dim sum, noodles, burgers, international buffets - Hong Kong is like being on a cruise. There is always something tasty on offer.

10. It’s a City with a capital ‘C’ - This is a massive City - it knocks Sydney for dead. It is amazing that so many people live, work and play here. The skyscrapers glitter in the sun, at night they light up like electricity is going out of style. Star Ferries bob along in the harbour like something out of a 1950’s children’s book. Hong Kong is a true fusion city; the little stalls, tiny temples and the wafting smell of incense mingle with the big city bustle to create a very unique mix of East and West.

Please note we are not being paid by the Hong Kong Tourism Board but we would happily accept it.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb