China Trip: Day 12 - Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
October 18th 2007
Published: November 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Hong Kong in the evening, and checked into our hotel, the Marco Polo Gateway, on the Kowloon peninsula a few blocks from Victoria Harbor.

The next morning, we went to Hong Kong Island and took a tram up to Victoria Peak, for great views of the city. We went to Stanley market on the south end of Hong Kong Island. This was basically just a crowded shopping area. We then took a sampan (boat) ride. We saw the infamous "Jumbo" large floating restaurant and a lot of houseboats.

We had the rest of the day free. I walked around some. There were some people on the street trying to get me to go to a tailor's shop or whatever. It wasn't nearly as bad as Shanghai, though.

By the time I got back to the hotel, it was towards dusk. There is a light show on the Hong Kong skyline every night at 8pm, so I decided to grab the camcorder and walk a few blocks south to a really good viewing area. When I got down there, the Hong Kong skyline was incredibly impressive, especially at night. I thought even more impressive than Shanghai. It was quite the sight. Boats in the harbor, a bunch of lit up buildings, with a mountain in the background with lights on it. The weather was perfect.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Hong Kong by nightHong Kong by night
Hong Kong by night

This is only one part of an immense stretch of buildings.


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb