Leaving NZ


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
August 2nd 2004
Published: August 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Just changed blog servers, so this is the start of the overall experience again!
This is the overview of events so far.

I left NZ on Cathay Pacific on 26? July 2004 amidst a flurry of late arrivals, tears and gifts (woohoo!). Sat on the plane on the runway for an hour or so whilst they replaced a fuel filter, (nothing like building that confidence in yr airline!). Funnily enough, I got seated next to another Kiwi girl off to do the same thing as I, on almsot the exact same itinary! So that was great, chatted to Anna for a while before getting stuck into some serious movie watching! Pretty uneventful trip really, few movies, some good meals, shifty beer or two.
Landed in Honk Kong airport around 11pm, wandered through there in awe at the size and shiny newness of it all. Anna had done quite a bit of travel, so I kinda let her lead the way, although everything was pretty straight forward. Hong Kong was a great choice in retrospect for a first encounter with travel or Asia, as everything was in English and almost everybody spoke it too, so not too much of a culture shock there. Jumped on my airport shuttle link with a middle aged Ozy couple and chatted our way into Hong Kong Island. Me staring out the windows the whole way gazing at the hugeness of it all. Bright lights big city didn't cover it. Auckland will always be a village after this lot!
Dropped at the hotel, settled in there and wandered out into the night & 32 deg / 80% humidity, (EVERYWHERE is aircon funnily enough!) 12am, wandering around this smelly, hot city was kinda funny. Toddled off to bed about an hour later.
Up the next day early for a full day of shopping! Stanley Markets were the first stop on Emily's recommendation. Asked how to get there at reception, straight around the corner and onto the bus, no probs! Lots of people, thats the first thing that hit me. I was in Hong Kong for the weekend in summer so everyone was out and about. Bus trip was great, winding out of the city and around past Repulse Bay on the Southern end of the Island. Was very green and pretty, kinda like NZ really, just with 30 story condo's down to the beach. Really tropical vegetation, as u would expect in the humidity i guess. Shark nets out around the swimming area's was the only major difference, oh & the Junks floating not far off shore! Lots of money out around here. Big gates on the driveways and more beemers, mercs & lexus's than you can shake a stick at!
Off the bus and into the markets I went, wandering into a maze of cobbled streets with shops either side. Not really what I'd been expecting for my first bartering experience, they were just like normal shops, prices displayed and rather pushy sales people. Lots of trinkets, souveners, tshirts, nothing flash. Picked up a few things, wandered around and popped out by the sea again. Wandered around the bay untill I came across a Mall, McD's & all. Popped in there for lunch, (figured it was safe). 3 times as many people as any other Mcd's Id been to and staff taking your order in line, writing it down.
Back to the Hotel for a swim in the roof top pool before heading over to Kowloon Island for a spot of suit shopping and to find Ladies Night Market. Caught the Star Ferry, run down old dog of a boat, dodging in and out of massive cruiseliners, then landed on the jetty. Was collared as soon as I stepped off the boat by an Indian chap wanting to sell me a suit! Just what I was after, measured in 30min and to be ready the next day b4 lunch.
Wandered around the corner into Fashion City or some such named mall. Calvin Klein, Guchi, Prada the works. Bit more shopping, then asked directions from a security guard how to get to Ladies Market. He didn't understand me, but some passer by did & helped me out. That's what it was like, everyone really keen to help! Ladies market was much the same as Stanley, just not so hot and a bit more laid out. Getting low on $ now, so back to Hong Kong Island to go up to the Peak for a view of the city.
After drifting aimlessly for a while, finally found someone to ask directions and got myself to the Tram that goes up the hill. The Peak was awesome, full view of the city, everything lit up like Xmas. Some buildings were computer controlled so their colours changed and had patterns running down them, wicked. Back to bed for some much needed sleep.
Up early again the next day, down to teh Wai Tan(?) markets. Bit more of a produce market, which was an eye opener. Live fish in airated buckets for sale, side of the road butchery, a fish tank with like a thousand goldfish in it. Back to Kowloon to grab my suit and have a quick bite to eat at an underground Irish Pub.
Running late for my airport transfer, couldnt get the ticket machine to work at the subway. Again asked directions from the guy next to me, (didnt understand me), some girl pops up out of nowhere and sorts me out with the change for the machine! No one in NZ is this friendly man.
Got to the Hotel... bus has left. They call them up and I get a new 1 sent for little old me, this place is all service!
Checki in at airport, 11kg overweight, That'll be $2200HK thanks very much! Bloody hell $500NZ means I made no saving shopping in Hong Kong. Note to others, send stuff over by post before you come. Stop to pick up some cologne from duty free, sorry sir that card dont work no more. Definatley time to wave goodbye to Hong Kong. Trouble free flight into Heathrow, more movies, more good food.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb