Hong Kong - You Can Peak Too Soon Flower...


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
July 18th 2005
Published: July 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hottest day of the year in Hong Kong - 37 degrees but 50 degrees including humidity! Wondered over to ladies market adn langham place mall in Mong Kok but all shops closed till 12.30 so sat and had a green apple and calpis soda in the air conditioned mall. Bliss. Langham Place has an amazingly huge atrium for a place which has such a huge price per square mm of land and lots of cute little shops on a gugenheim style spiral. Wondered down to the 'Kubrick cafe' - a very stylish place with lots of lomography (funky photos) on the walls. Read an astrology guide which said me and dave should be able to live together without killing each other! Lots of stuff on the cutting edge of chinese culture but unfortunately all in mandarin!
Had lunch and went to exchange square near central - a very funky mall with the poshest cinema ever and a great juice bar called mix where we finally got to use t'internet.
Met up with jo and kath and caught the peak tram (a funicular that goes up to about 70 degrees) up to the Victoria Peak plateau for views of the harbour. We walked to the top of the peak via the governor's garden (the house was burnt down by the japanese in WWII) but there wasn't even an ice cream or a good view at the top! Rewarded ourselves with an ice cream back at the plateau and watched the sun set. The storm clouds really rolled in then but we still had good views of the neon harbour at night. Watched the light show at 8 - where the skyscrapers do a funky flashing light show - but definitely got to see it from the avenue of stars on kowloon for best effect. Were very english and just tutted when people pushed in front! There is no queueing here!
Caught the roller coaster of a bus ride back down and had a big fat American style burger (well at least it wasn't McDonalds). Then had drinks in the Red Buddha by our hotel with some METers and watched jackass. Sweet.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb