Hong Kong here we come...


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
July 17th 2005
Published: July 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Taxi to the bus station. Bye bye Fred see you in a couple of years. Plane. Hong Kong. Hi Dave. Cool shuttle train with TV's in the back of the seats. Octopus card (prepay card like an oyster card for the tube). Ace.
We're staying in the very swish Wharney Hotel, Lockhart Road, Wan Chai, which appears to be in the centre of the red light district but in a non-threatening, lots of normal bars and restaurants, kind of way. Think it's just the ex pat hang out. Met up with two of dave's friends from MET, jo and kath, and went and had a mini banquet at La Fian, Pork Dumplings on the street behind our hotel. Very nice classic dishes although my chopsticks pride came before several falls!
Went on to Joe Bananas (B-A-N-A-N-A-S!) where happy hour goes on till 10 and 12-2, then Dusk Till Dawn where they had a great live band. Every member was a fantastic singer - highlight was the tiny chinese girl belting out Tina Turner and sounding fantastic! Very neon and very ex pat places but I get the feeling there's not really any such thing as a Chinese bar - they have banquets with 50% rice wine instead! Very creepy that there's lots of 60 year old english girls with gorgeous 16 year old chinese girls though. We're not sure if they were escort girls or brides but it was still a bit weird!
Slept in the comfiest bed imaginable!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb