Tai O Fishing Village


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
February 23rd 2016
Published: February 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

As part of my day tour of Lantau Island, I was able to visit the quaint and picturesque Tai O fishing village which is situated on the western coast.



Here, the houses are on stilts . They look old and rustic (or just rusty) but the tour guide said that much of that was for the benefit of tourists and they are actually lovely and modern inside.



Wandering through the traditional seafood market is great fun. Have a go at identifying all the different dried products you see. Some are obvious and some you may regret asking about. Apparently, most of the dried seafood used in HK is produced in this village.



To see the village properly, you need to get out on the water which is part of the tour. Not on a tour? You won't have any problems finding someone to take you. The best part of the ride is the opportunity to take photos. A village that is definitely worth visiting, especially if you haven't visited a fishing village in Asia before.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Dried goodsDried goods
Dried goods

Have fun trying to identify all the dried seafood in the village.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb