Lantau Island - Causeway Bay


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
May 12th 2006
Published: June 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 ~ 2006 Discovery Year of HK Suburbs



A typical night in Causeway Bay is like Xmas and New Years’ Eve in Orchard Road. If Orchard Road is over whelming with eager shoppers, I bet it must be worse here. There are simply too many people here. This was also the place where we finally boarded the TRAM to Sheung Wan. Sitting on the upper decker, the night view of HK streets under the cool breeze was fantastic.

Earlier in the day, we had found time to visit the mega Tsing Ma Bridge (HK’s answer to Golden Gate Bridge) that provided an important linkway between the Airport and Kowloon. The MTR Train took us to Tung Chung (or I affectionately called it 小深圳, small Shenzhen. Hoards of hawkers had set up makeshift stalls at Tung Chung bus interchange selling imitations of adidas jerseys, LVs and Mickey watches. Rather than focusing their attention on the shoppers, they were constantly looking left and right for the Teh Gus.

A trip to Lantau Island is not complete without a visit to the Giant Buddha and the Wisdom Path. While not really a staunch Buddhist, the half day trip itself was interesting as it gave visitors an opportunity to uncover rural HK with its tall mountains and fresh air. Many a times, visitors on a 3 - 4 day itinerary were caught up on the urban areas (me included) leaving no time to experience what the suburbs were like. I was glad that we were able to capture some of these scenes outside the usual urban fare.

Of course, given more time in the territory, we would love to explore one of the outlying islands. But I guess we were able to cover a fair bit of everything such that the trip members lamented that “they would not be coming back to HK at least for the next 10 years!”



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Causeway BayCauseway Bay
Causeway Bay

Always full of people.


Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb