The Arrival of a Lifetime!!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
June 7th 2011
Published: June 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On your marks...On your marks...On your marks...

...get set... GO!!!!
So, here we go. My first blog entry – six weeks in! A mere six weeks, out of a 14 month adventure! And – oh my goodness – the emotions, sights and experiences have been well and truly flowing. It really is about time this blog malarkey was underway. Take a deep breath and write, she says...

Scattered tropical islands, evergreen mountains and endless seas. Amongst it all? Hong Kong International Airport, located on Lantau Island, China. It can only be described as an airport living life on the edge – which is really rather apt for HK! Being based on one of the outlying islands (Lantau), the runway extends to the very edge of the island, well and truly dipping its toes in the sea. One second out and we would have been in that water – and, please note – shark infested water!

Travelling with my beaut of a bezzie, Becca Hopkinson, we landed in HK on 25th April 2011. I cannot even begin to describe how it feels to arrive (half asleep), in an unknown continent, culture, language and lifestyle with the knowledge that at some point this will feel, in some way, like ‘home’. There
Nan Fung Sun Chuen - Home Sweet Home!Nan Fung Sun Chuen - Home Sweet Home!Nan Fung Sun Chuen - Home Sweet Home!

Our apartment blocks: taken as we pulled up to the accommodation, awe-stricken!
I stood with a jam-packed 65 litre backpack on, as well as walking boots and thick, woollen socks. Well. May I just say – don’t ever arrive in a tropical climate with walking boots on…it’s DEFINITELY not pleasant!!!

We were greeted at the airport by Kaff, a very smiley member of the support staff at the school I now work at, English Excel. A copy of the South China Morning Post and bottle of Watson’s water in hand, we made our way to an air conditioned taxi. I’m taking that paper to the grave – what a memory! The air-conditioned taxi ride was, without a doubt, the most memorable and breath-taking car journey of my life. We made our way across the suspension bridge, over to Hong Kong Island. We travelled beneath emerald mountains, past soaring sky-scrapers and turquoise, inviting seas – we even saw some infamous bamboo scaffolding! The taxi itself was strangley fascinating – the driver had at least eight mobile phones, all wired up to numerous gadgets. Eventually we pulled up at our accommodation, a 29-floor skyscraper. So – this was to be home, sweet, home! Along with a few hundred other people…

The view
Mount ParkerMount ParkerMount Parker

The view from my bedroom window - Mount Parker
from my apartment is astounding – I’m on the 23rd floor and out of my bedroom window is an incredible mountain, fully clad in evergreen trees and tropical leaves. Eagles circle the skies, and some days the clouds even hide the peak of the mountain, such is its awesome height. The living area has a near full-length window looking out on to the view – what a place to eat your cornflakes in the morning…

Naturally, the 25th April 2011, was surreal. Having left my parents and boyfriend at the airport only hours earlier, it seemed ludacris to even think of the apartment and surrounding area as home for even one second. If there’s one thing I’ve realised though, it’s the incredible ability the human spirit has to adapt to the surroundings and situations presented. Only six weeks in, I feel that I have built somewhat of a life here. My feet know where they want to be placed, and I now only awake in a sweat because of the 97% humidity!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Anyone fancy a Chinese?Anyone fancy a Chinese?
Anyone fancy a Chinese?

Our first meal - at a local, VERY authentic restaurant. Yum.
A stroll in the park...A stroll in the park...
A stroll in the park...

The view of our apartments from half-way up Mount parker.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb