Day 2 Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
February 20th 2016
Published: February 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Ferris WheelFerris WheelFerris Wheel

During childhood I had a red-occurring nightmare about being on a ferris wheel that slipped its mooring and rolled away. Since the line-up to go up The Peak was so long to get an aerial view of the city, I decided to put this cobia to rest and go for it. After all, it couldn't be worse than jumping off a cliff.
A couple more museums are on the menu today so we hop on the metro to cross the bay. First stop is the post office. A whole lot of bureaucracy for a poor selection of stamps. No special stamps available, only the everyday variety. Not impressed with the territory's main post office!



The tea-ware museum is located in the Flagstaff building, an old British colonial style affair. It was used by the British up to the 1980’s. Since it is currently being refurbished, only half the private collection is on display and entrance fees are waived. A beautiful collection of teapots dating back to the 1500’s. There is also an interesting film on how tea is produced and the rituals around the drinking of tea.



The museum is found in a hillside park and there is a restaurant that caters to the Japanese crowd. We had an excellent meal there and after we wandered around the gardens before searching out our next museum stop.

The Hong Kong Maritime museum is located in the ferry terminal complex. From here you can catch boats to all the outlying islands. The museum itself covers two floors. Again,
St John's CathedralSt John's CathedralSt John's Cathedral

Not as ornate as other Anglican churches I've seen but impressive all the same, especially the exterior. I have been surprised with the religious freedom still permitted by the Beijing government.
it has a well documented story and a comprehensive display of ships, from bladders of cow skins rafts to modern day cargo ships. Hundreds of ship models illustrate the development of shipping through the ages. Piracy, trade and the Opium Wars are also explained. It kept us busy for a couple of hours and we still had another hall to see but sore legs prompted us to call it a day.

It being Saturday, the subway and streets were packed as families and lovers were out and about. One small child pointed at me excitedly and started to jabber to her mother. The mother admonished the little girl for pointing so I let out a jolly HoHoHo that seemed to do the trick.

We had noted earlier a Malaysian restaurant across the street from our hotel so made it our supper destination as it was not far to walk. We asked before ordering about serving quantities so were able to order accordingly. I have to admit that I make a better satay sauce but the others we ordered were excellent. Back to our room to recuperate in a horizontal position for the evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Park PondPark Pond
Park Pond

Part of the park that the tea-ware museum is in.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb