Day 1 Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
February 18th 2016
Published: February 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

High-diving BoardsHigh-diving BoardsHigh-diving Boards

Practice centre for the HK Olympic diving team???
Up early and ready to go. First project is to scout the perimeters, three blocks in each direction to find interesting restaurants, shops and parks. First in the order of things is breakfast. The closest was a fancy hotel but we found the prices exorbitant. Five dollars for a cup of tea! A little further on we saw some signs on a wall so we crossed the threshold. The restaurant was on the second floor. It looked more like a banquet hall but there was a number of older people scattered around the room. We were shown to a table and handed a menu that contained a few picks and small English text below the Chinese. Just like home where the language of the majority takes precedence. Nothing looked like anything we recognized as breakfast fare. We waited a while for the waitress to come by. when she did, we found she had no English. She was looking around the table for something. Finally, she pulled a pencil from her pocket and took a printed form that was propped up by the sugar bowl. We finally figured out that we were to check the box of the menu item we wanted.
SuperherosSuperherosSuperheros

Guess which one is my superhero.
Mission accomplished, we were served a pot of tea. There was an empty plastic bowl on the table that we were at a loss as to its function. At lunch we saw a lady at a neighbouring table pouring tea over the chop sticks, cups and small bowls. An extra rinse to kill germs.

This was by no means a classy restaurant but it still cost us about $30 for a couple of spring rolls, green pepper wedges topped with pork paste and a couple of battered shrimp. At the next block I came across a pastry shop and got a Danish to fill the hole still in the tummy. A little further on we came to a large park. Lots of people doing their morning exercises. At one corner of the park was a mosque. We had already passed the Jehovah Witness HQ and a Baptist church so I guess there is still religious freedom here. The park is a nice respite from the crowds and traffic. There were ponds and gardens with the odd flower. Too cold yet (15C). I was the only person in shirtsleeves. Most wore a puffy winter jacket with gloves and toque. Down
CloudCloudCloud

Another award-winning Asian superhero.
one pathway was a row of colourful Asian superhero statues. Up some winding steps was an aviary. After about an hour of wandering around, we found an exit and continued our exploratory tour. We were completely lost. No matter, that is what it is all about. We found ourselves down by the waterfront, surrounded by luxury hotels. From one we got a city map to orient ourselves and get an idea of the local attractions. The art museum we were looking for was apparently closed for renovations.

Lunch was another fill in the blanks affair. we had again made our choice based on a sign at street level. Seeing us studying the sign, a lady beckoned us towards an elevator. Up one floor she said. when the door opened on the second floor, we stepped directly into the restaurant. We were hustled to a table, tea was poured and hot face clothes presented. It was here that we learned the use of the empty bowl. There was some scrambling to find the English speaking waiter who helped us fill out the obligatory form. We each ordered a dish and when they arrived, we saw that this time, there was
Waterfront DevelopmentWaterfront DevelopmentWaterfront Development

All this on reclaimed land. Harbour only about 700 metres wide now. About half of what it was a century ago.
way too much for us. This time it cost us about $60.

Using our map, we made our way to the Hong Kong Museum of History. A well presented display of the history of area from the beginning of time to the present. Special exposition on pottery with some magnificent pieces of craftsmanship. It was a well spent 3 hours. When we left, it was pouring rain and approaching dusk. Rush hour to boot. I felt like a boxer in training as I tower over most people here and I had to dodge and weave my way through the umbrellas that came towards me at eye level. Like at home, people are concentrating more on their phones than where they are going. A dangerous dance while wielding a dangerous weapon.

Since the museum is located in an area of small parks and short streets, it took us a while to get our bearings. We arrived back at out hotel and changed into dry clothing. I thing we each have a couple of bruises from elbowing each other in our confined space. By this time it was supper hour so we headed out again. we found a place up
Clock TowerClock TowerClock Tower

And this used to be the highest structure around. Gone the way of the wrist watch.
an alley that looked interesting. I could tell as soon as we sat down that something was askew. The table setting was western. None of the locals were using chop sticks. The menu items were all European fare with a touch of Asian flare. The restaurant has been in existence for 150 years. Servings were more appropriate this time but still expensive.

After supper we decided to take in the night market. There was a whole section of fortune tellers using various forms of divination and lots of stalls selling trinkets and western knock-off western clothing. There was another section selling dildos and vibrators. Was this the Ladies Market I had read about??? It had started to pour again and the water cascaded off the plastic sheets overhead into the narrow passageways between the stalls. Mr. Tilley comes to the rescue again. The most interesting part of the market were the seafood lunch counters. Buckets and pans of live fish and shellfish were literally underfoot of the diners. Maybe we will return for supper tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Colonial BuildingColonial Building
Colonial Building

Repurposed as high-scale boutiques.
JunkJunk
Junk

Floating restaurant.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb