Hong Kong poor district and Lady street


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
July 6th 2011
Published: July 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

HONG KONG JULY 6th
Today I got up later than usual. I mean, I WOKE up on time but didn’t GET up until about 8:11 this morning. I rushed to breakfast afraid that I was going to miss it. Ate some really good noodles then went to the lectures. They were boring as usual but I did learn some stuff. Afterwards we went to a poor neighborhood in Hong Kong—or rather a ghetto of Hong Kong. We were told to hold onto our wallets and watch our bags because of pickpockets. Now, having been to Panama already the place where pick-pockets pros roam the streets, there was no way I was going to get robbed in broad-daylight, that’s for sure! I know every trick these people could've possibly pulled.
But there was this weird one guy—an old man actually—who actually eyeballed all the girls’ bags and followed us some 50 feet (mind you, we weren’t walking fast at all because of the amount of people. It was hard to move together along with the added number of Taiwanese students there.) This dude just kept circling around creepily looking at our bags. Then he left.
After that we all split into 2 groups and went into a small where we split into even smaller groups. The mall was very interesting because I swear all of the people in that mall were dressed extremely fashionably. Like many guys (and girls) had spiked anime-style hair, and an unorthodox combination of clothes with shoes like for example; a frilly half-Victorian half-modern pink dress and gladiator sandals, Or sparkling tights, or red skull ties and chains with faded red or gray skinny jeans some people had frilly bows in their hair or ties. The mall was large too! I saw the largest escalator ever in that mall!

I wanted to take pictures but then I realized…I DIDN’T HAVE MY CAMERA!
So then we (about 10 of us) ate food at this Japanese ramen restaurant in the mall. I met all of the students who will be doing the exchange to Bridgewater and I met 2 girls who already did the exchange (went to Bridgewater and came back). Afterwards we split into 2 groups, the first group went back to the dorms and the second group was led by Dr. Liu to go to Lady Street. Dr. Liu is verrry good at negotiating low prices in Hong Kong. I ended up buying a shirt for 25, a magnet for 10, and 2 shot glasses for 45 dollars. After that we took the subway and then the bus back to the college where most of our group was hanging out somewhere while some of them just went to bed.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb