Daytime in Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
January 18th 2007
Published: February 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Hong Kong Island Tour

We passed through Repulse Bay, a luxurious residential area for the rich and famous (the only famous person I recognised was Jackie Chan, very grand house, but it was a Tudor design which did not fit in with the surrounding area).
Visited famous fishing village of Aberdeen to see junk boats (complete with barking dogs), sailing around the harbour on a sampan boat. The brochures quoted ‘Hundreds of junks and sampans, old-fashioned boats serve as floating homes for thousands of people’. Not anymore, hardly any junk boats to see, not hundreds as I remember seeing on Blue Peter years ago. Our guide informed us the government were fazing them out and in a few years time, all would be gone.
Next stop was around Stanley a famous market, it was perfect place to find that special gift for friends and relatives with numerous bargains, as well as souvenirs. I treated myself to a silk Chinese top, leather belts for my daughter (but might keep them for myself ) silk covered mirrors for my ‘beautiful’ colleagues at work and silk covered surprises for my sisters (but cant write what or they wont have a surprise then, will they ?).
We went on a slight detour to a jewellery outlet, which wasn’t on the itinerary and all the items were very expensive. But we found on most of the trips, an extra stop seemed to appear, but wasn’t bad really.
The coach to us to the top of Victoria Peak and we travelled down via the Peak Train. I couldn’t believe it when I noticed all the seats were facing backwards, but as we travelled further down the peak, the descent got steeper and steeper and if we had have been facing forwards, and we would have fallen out of our seats.
The guide recommended a few choice restaurants for us to try. Found one with a good view over the bay and orders a variety of ‘Dim Sums’. Lynne and Chris declined the experience (they were the sensible ones). When the first of the selection was delivered I hesitated and Ian and Julie got stuck in and the food didn’t look too bad. The second serving looked like a fine film of skin with dead babies’ inside.Yuk! I tried a little bit then wouldn’t have anything more to do with this exercise. Ian and Julie were very brave and ate everything and lived to tell the tale.

Everyone was feeling a little tired, so we caught a cab back to hotel had a meal then caught the minibus to the airport and boarded the Qantas plane to Perth, Australia.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb