Discovering Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
November 30th 2006
Published: November 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hong Kong City LightsHong Kong City LightsHong Kong City Lights

Lucy and the bright lights of Hong Kong
Hello All,

This is the 2nd attempt at writing this! I pushed the wrong button and everything disappeared!

We are in Hong Kong! The flight was hell for me but P thought it was better than he had expected. It was worse because of the 5 or so panic attacks that I had on the way here!

On our first day we fought our way through the manic crowds on Nathan Rd. to find our hotel. The YMCA is really good and yes mum they do provide towels! We then had a nap... for 4 hours. We needed it though and had a lot more energy.

We then made our way down to Victoria Harbour front to see all the lights from Hong Kong Island. We weren't sure whether to say it was beautiful- not sure that you can say that about man-made neon lights but it was certainly impressive. We watched the light show- it was quite tacky but fun, the commentary was in chinese we think!

We had our first meal- I'm ashamed to admit it was McDonalds which we don't even eat in England. The amount of food that is available is a
MongkokMongkokMongkok

We took this before running back down the subway stairs - too busy for us!
bit mind boggling to say the least so we have been acting like scardy cats and sticking to what we know.

We then walked down the Avenue of Stars and had a good nosy around at all the very expensive shops - Dior, Fendi, DKNY, Chanel, Versace etc.. A girl can dream...

On our 2nd day here we found a really nice little bakery that does really nice croissants - again not a traditional dish but I love them, We have been stuffing our faces with these sat on top of the promenade with the view across the Harbour. Its very relaxing apart from all the school kids who seem to have English language projects to do and want to ask Phil questions in English- It was quite funny watching him skirm and run away from the girls in their uniforms!

We then made our way up to the Peak to see the view. We saw it, ate some more food - this time from a place called Delifrance - who do more french stuff! then came back down. It was alright - we had a good time, I don't know what we were expecting really.
YMCA SalisburyYMCA SalisburyYMCA Salisbury

This is where we stayed... right next to the harbour.

We then walked around Central for a bit looking at all the big buildings and huge Xmas Tree. P can't remember what the dimensions were - he thinks 40ft, all decorated. They do seem to make a thing of Xmas here, lots of decorations everywhere. By this time I was flagging again, so we decided to come back to the YMCA for a rest - but it ended up being another nap.

Last night we wandered down Nathan Rd. to Temple St. market - saw all the stalls and we were a bit suprised to see a lot of them selling ladies toys. All different sizes, models and makes available....!

We didn't buy anything - we are on a budget and our cases are already the weight limit! We then wandered back up a very packed, hot and sweaty Nathan Rd back to the YMCA for some dinner and bed.

Today we have been a bit further afield out of the hustle bustle which has been really nice because the crowdedness gets a bit too much.

We went to MongKok which was too crowded, we took one photo, wandered through Ladies Street market and went back
View from the peakView from the peakView from the peak

This is taken from the top of Victoria Peak - As you can see it was quite cloudy.
down onto the MTR. (Metro) We found a nunnery and garden and chilled out for a while, then we went to a temple to see people waving their incense sticks in offering to buddha. We felt a bit out of place because we were the only Western people there - it was really interesting though.

We are starting our flight to Cairns tomorrow, should get there middayish Friday- not looking forward to it - feel like we have only just got here, suppose we have!

Will try to put some photos on when we get to Australia, no facility here.

TC all, L and P x



Advertisement



3rd December 2006

Overtired
You packed loads into two days in Hong Kong. No wonder you're feeling jaded. Its time to chill out. Looking forward to your next blog. Love Mum and Dad and Craig xxx

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb