Hamming It Up With Stars at Hongkong's Wax Museum


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
January 2nd 2009
Published: January 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our afternoon at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum within the Victoria Peak Tram Complex deserves this separate blog. Meeting over 100 stars, in wax than live, is just over the top. Just a short ferry ride from Kowloon side, a short ride on Bus No. 15, and we were finally at the Peak Tram Terminus.

A long line snaked through the street around the Terminus. We skipped the line and instead bought the combination ticket for the tram ride to the top, Sky Terraces and Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. While waiting, we browsed through the gallery of old newspaper articles, photos and artifacts to introduce us to the 120 year old Tram. As volunteered by Patricia, the first 2 seats in the tram are reserved for the Governor of Hongkong till the last 2 minutes before the Tram starts the climb up the Peak. So much for history. When it was time to board, we made sure we got seated on the first row of seats.

Even before we reached the Sky Terraces, we had a good glimpse of the impressive views. We climbed through several escalators to get on the view deck, and this added excitement. More so since we passed several shops and restaurants along the way. By the time we hit the view deck, there were more tourists before us and taking a good picture proved to be a challenge. We viewed Victoria Harbour and spotted just where we posted ourselves on New Year's Eve the night before. The harbour view is much more impressive from the top! Sarah set up her camera on the tripod and made sure we got a family picture in Sky Terraces. As we snapped away, the 2 kids grew tired posing for photos and just sat it out by the stairs with their hands on their faces. That was our cue to get down and check out Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum.

Jackie Chan welcomed us, and we had the Museum's official photographer take our family picture with our favorite Asian star. As soon as we entered, we found Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. There were Chinese stars too, but forgive me for not knowing them. Beyond Michelle Yeow, Jet Li , Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, I am a total ignoramus in this department. As we moved through the area with the more familiar Hollywood stars, I felt more at home. Pierce Brosnan aka James Bond (though my eternal favorite is Sean Connery) has always been my nieces' favorite since his Remington Steele days. When he turned James Bond, and finally appearing in Mamma Mia, they got all hooked! Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. Johnny Depp . Marilyn Monroe. Oh this last one drew some laughs when Suzette posed beside Marilyn , complete with the blonde wig and white halter dress. Sports idols like Tiger Woods, David Beckham, tall Yao Ming made good poster shots with my little ones. So did royalties like Princess Diana, Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip and Princess Anne. They looked so good posing with crowns on their heads, seated casually in the center of the royal family. Another good photo was with the political leaders like Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Adolf Hitler, Mahatma Gandhi, and my favorite ---- with Lolo Mao Tse Tung.

I did not waste a moment when I found the entire Beatles on the upper floor. You bet we all had solo shots with the foursome. By this time, Martin was feeling real tired and fast losing energy. I sat it out with him right beside Tina Turner! The rest of the family went busy posing with Madonna, Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi. These singing idols were truly immortalized in these wax look alikes. We all had fun going through the museum and posing beside our favorite stars, sports heroes and political leaders.

By the time we were done with Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, we were ready for our early dinner. Hongkong Day Cafe within the complex was real full with Hongkong residents and tourists. We were lucky to find a table for all 7 of us. Thinking the kids must be tired by now, I was proven wrong as soon as our dinner was set on the table. Never too tired for a good meal. We left the cafe satisfied with our early dinner, and promised ourselves we'd go straight back to our hotel and call it a night. After all, we need all the energy back for tomorrow's day at Disneyland. Check out my separate blog on this magical park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Who You?Who You?
Who You?

Thanks, Darren, for pointing out this is the famous Leo Ku.


5th January 2009

Pictures
The last picture that you put on that says Who you ? He is a famous pop star of HK named Leo Ku.
1st October 2011
Sarah with Lolo Mao

It is too nice photo please add more

Tot: 0.693s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 38; qc: 185; dbt: 0.2857s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb