Stanley, Repulse Bay, The Peak ...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
November 26th 2013
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.33, 114.18

A great nights sleep and at 07:00 we head downstairs for our first 'free' breakfast. I break the cornflake dispenser and jam the toaster but apart from that it was a roaring success. We leave very full and with croissants and a few pastries for lunch later. I decided that it was not my fault that I ate too much it was the hotels as the plates were too big !
Leaving the hotel we take the tram to Causeway Bay area then catch a green minibus(No 40) from Tang Lung Street south to Stanley. We walk down to the lovely and near deserted promenade that circles the small bay. Pass some small pubs, 'The Pickled Pelican' advertising Ales and Stout, and the Smugglers Inn almost making me feel like we were at the south coast in England. Walked to the end of the promenade and Murray House. An 1846 colonial building moved here from the Bank Of China site in Central in 1998 and next door to Blake Pier also moved here from Central more recently. They both look comfortable in their new homes. I spot a tiny old Chinese shrine next door to a shiny new development including McDonalds, Starbucks etc etc. Walking back along the prom we pass an early opening br screeing French rugby and the whole place gives no indication at all that you are in Asia, but I like it all the same. Walked back through Stanley Market where stalls were still opening and selling stuff tat you never even knew you needed.
Took another bus(No 63) from Staney back to Repulse Bay where we headed right down to the lovely beach and dipped our feet in the South China Sea. Oh for a pair of swimming shorts ! The beach thermometer says it is 21 degrees but it feels a bit warmer than that. Looking inland we can see a large condo with a big hole left in the front of the building. Story has it that the hole was left so that the dragon who lives on the hillside behind can still get down to the sea for a drink ?! After a slow stroll along the beach we visited the Chinese Kwun Yum temple at the headland. Here we threw coins in a fishes mouth for good luck and crossed the Longevity Bridge which is said to add 3 days to your life each time you cross it - we stayed here for a couple of hours !! We then sat on the seafront and enjoyed a second breakfast compliments of the hotel before taking another bus (No 63) back into Central.
Walked to St John's Cathedral, built in 1847 and looking a little out of place amongst the shiny glass of the skyscrapers. The Japs used it as a social club in the early 1940s but it has been restored and looks good.
Walking on we join a queue for the Peak Tram and climb to the top for great views over the metroplis below and over the harbour to Kwloon and beyond. It is a lovely clear day and the views are at their best.
After descending by Peak Tram we walk to Hong Kong Park and visit the large aviary there. Supposedly 600 birds of 30 different spieces in here. IT was a lovely place with lots of birds that could be viewed from a tree-top wooden walkway and we both really enjoyed it. We descended through the park to Flagstaff House which is said to be the oldest westrn style building in Hong Kong today dating from 1846 and now housing a Chinese teaware museum.
We finally reach the bottom of the hill and take a tram back to North POint and eat at the same place as last night.
Stopped at an exchange booth on the street to get a bit more currency then walked back to City Garden Hotel where we book a half day New Territories Tour for Wednesday morning. Back to the room for a shower and stretch out for a while on the bed.
We leave the hotel again just after 18:00 and take a tram back to Central then walk through the maze of neon lights down to the Star Ferry Pier where we boat across to Kowloon side of the harbour enjoying the Hong Kong Island skyline by night. We just have time to get ourselves into a good position before the Symphony of LIghts, sound and light show begins. The buildings on Hong Kong Island are all illuminated in flashing lights and many have lasers projecting off their roofs. Pretty good and worth the effort of ferrying over to watch.
When the show was finished we walked along the promenade next to the harbour waiting for the crowds to thin out a bit before returning to the Star Ferry and crossing back to the Island.
We are both a bit tired and leg weary by now so instead of walking to the trams we get a taxi from the ferry terminal straight back to the hotel and I am soon stretched out on the bed with a cold Tsingtao beer to help me sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb