Stunning, Unbelievable Hong Kong


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
May 4th 2015
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

City of SkyscrapersCity of SkyscrapersCity of Skyscrapers

This was the view from our hotel room on Hong Kong Island, looking at Kowloon, actoss the water. The scrapers go on as far as the eye can see along the coast up to the mountainside, on both sides of the harbour - Kowloon and Hong Kong Island. The building in the center is the ICC building, the tallest in Hong Kong.
Even though we had been told to expect a city of skyscrapers and high density population, we were still unprepared for the reality when we arrived. We have been in many large, densely populated Asian cities, but none compare to Hong Kong, for unlike the other cities we have visited, Hong Kong is a city built entirely of sky scrapers. Hospitals, schools, churches, shopping malls, all residences, virtually the entire infra structure of the city must fit within a skyscraper design. It is a bit unusual to come across a school zone street marker amidst the towers, as the exact location of the school itself is not apparent, being several stories above you, but this is Hong Kong. Some scrapers are built on property no larger than our fifty foot lot back home, but soar thirty stories high. The population density is almost beyond comprehension.

Having said this, the city is meticulously clean, and very well designed, with a variety of excellent public transportation options, interior air conditioned walkways connecting shopping malls, seaside promenades, parks, tennis, and basketball courts. In addition to numerous regionally color coded taxis, trams, and buses, there are some private vehicles - primarily expensive ones -
Tram Ride FunTram Ride FunTram Ride Fun

What a great way to get a little familiar with a new mega-city. Informative, educational, and so much fun.
although surprisingly no motorcycles, and the numerous freeways seem to be effective, as we noticed no traffic congestion. Furthermore, many believe that Hong Kong's harbour is the one of the most beautiful in the world.

Hong Kong is a world class multicultural city, offering high end everything. We sat in our 31st story hotel room on our first night, overlooking the beautiful harbour facing Kowloon and watched the the tallest tower in Hong Kong - ICC / International Commercial Credit Building - transform itself into a light and music show based upon the 80's Pac-Man game, complete with the original PacMan game soundtrack. The following night we made our way to the Kowloon side of the harbour to watch numerous towers on Hong Kong Island transform into a colourful lazer light musical symphony.

Our stop over in Hong Kong this trip was only two days. We spent the first exploring Hong Kong Island via tram, then metro. The second day we toured extensively on foot, getting afeel for the city's energy, and then on boats, exploring the harbour. Even though most people speak Cantonese, and very little to no English, everyone we attempted to speak to was very
Rider Nation TramRider Nation TramRider Nation Tram

Yes, I think the sign should be changed from Kate Spade to Rider Nation. Don't you agree?
friendly, offered assistance immediately, and made us feel welcome. The city is amazing. We hope to explore it more again next year.

Day three, we were on a plane back to Canada, bringing to a close Dreamchasers 2015 Adventures. They too have been amazing, once again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

DensityDensity
Density

This has got to be the extreme opposite to being born and raised in my lowly populated, wide open spaces home province of Saskatchewan, Canada.
Hong Kong Island Hong Kong Island
Hong Kong Island

Hong Kong Island was the original site of Hong Kong, so it us the oldest and more historic area of the city. Kowloon developed later, on the opposite side of the harbour. Ferries run between the two 24 / 7, and the crossing takes less than five minutes. We stayed on Hong Kong Island, in one of those towers.
Laser Light ShowLaser Light Show
Laser Light Show

Every night, for twenty minutes, the harbour fills with people who come to watch about thirty five towers transformed into a vibrant display of changing colours and designs as part of the lazer light show. It was cloudy, so the lazers shooting into the sky were a little less dramatic than they would have been on a clear night, but that did not deter the effects of the tower presentation. Quite lovely. And free.
More Lazer LightsMore Lazer Lights
More Lazer Lights

Spectacular.
Hong Kong MTRHong Kong MTR
Hong Kong MTR

Otherwise know as the metro. Superclean. Efficient. Inexpensive. Easily accessible. Safe.


4th May 2015

So cool!!! I want to go there.

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb