Considering a trip to China, then visit Ningbo!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Zhejiang » Ningbo
September 7th 2017
Published: September 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Many people mistake China as only being Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou. The reality is China is massive and its history and culture extend far beyond these metropolises. After a trip to the coastal city of Ningbo I can honestly recommend it to any international visitor.



A window into Chinese culture is opened in Ningbo where Asia’s and China’s oldest private library still stands today. Tianyi Pavilion demonstrates the ancestral significance of Ningbo; and it’s just as scenic as its folklore suggests. At Tianyi Pavilion you can directly compare Ming and Qing Dynasties architecture from adjacent building. You can feel the flow of time and history without opening any of the relic scrolls.



Despite its cultural roots Ningbo has grown greatly in modern China. The Old Bund, built 20 years before Shanghai’s bund, is full of open-air pubs that light up the late into the night.



The city temple located downtown is actually nowadays more famous for the many snack stalls surrounding the area.Ningbo delicacies are not limited to the famous seafood, my personal favorite is a sweet food called Tangyuan.



The urban planning of Ningbo makes traveling from commercial areas to scenic and residential areas much easier than many cities in China. Dongqian Lake is a place I highly recommend for nature lovers. It’s easy to locate and without the endless crowds of Hangzhou’s West Lake.



If you’ve read all this you must be convinced that Ningbo is in your China bucket list! Unlike Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou, Ningbo is a hidden gem waiting in China.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb