First Half of Summer Travels (Yunnan Province)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Yunnan
July 30th 2008
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Panzhihua Panzhihua in southern Sichuan was described to us as an armpit of a city, a necessary but very unpleasant stopping point on one's way from Chengdu to Lijiang in Yunnan province. After arriving in Panzhihua - post-overnight sleeper train - we decided to give the city a shot. This was in part due to the fact that we dawdled a bit after breakfast (who, us?) and missed all of the day buses t... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Future Butterfly (Moth?)Future Butterfly (Moth?)
Future Butterfly (Moth?)

Your daily dose of close-up wildlife photograhpy.
Tiger Leaping Stone!!!Tiger Leaping Stone!!!
Tiger Leaping Stone!!!

Ahh Yea!!! Totally made it!!!
The BridgeThe Bridge
The Bridge

...from which we tossed many a rock. It must have been several hundred feet to the surface below. The big rocks we threw off exploded upon hitting the ground! ...Maybe you sort of had to be there...
View From River-LevelView From River-Level
View From River-Level

Note: 1) Stephanie on the bridge spanning the waterfall. 2) Bridge at top of photo -- the same one from previous pic. Its a long climb down!
Mid Tiger Leaping StoneMid Tiger Leaping Stone
Mid Tiger Leaping Stone

Where the alleged tiger jumped the Yangze river. Quite and impressive sight. A tough steep climb down from the low road, though... especially in a bit of rain.
Steep Ladder Up the Gorge WallSteep Ladder Up the Gorge Wall
Steep Ladder Up the Gorge Wall

One of the paths back up from Mid Tiger Leaping Stone. Refered to as the 'tian ti' path. (Sky stairs)
Shaping Market - DaliShaping Market - Dali
Shaping Market - Dali

Outskirts of the food section.
Shaping Market Shaping Market
Shaping Market

The fabric section and a Bai woman in traditional dress.
DuckbagDuckbag
Duckbag

These are ducks. In a bag. Shaping market - Dali
Bride in ShapingBride in Shaping
Bride in Shaping

Captured as we passed the wedding party on our way out of town.
ChopsChops
Chops

Some of the amazing artwork by our local Dali stamp carver.
Kunming- Green Lake ParkKunming- Green Lake Park
Kunming- Green Lake Park

Enjoying some impromptu traditional Chinese musical performances in the park. This excellent show was one of many this afternoon.
Train Back to ChengduTrain Back to Chengdu
Train Back to Chengdu

Making presents with some Dali-bought hemp cord. Also taught our bunk-mate the joys of macrame.



1st August 2008

leaping tigers!
Your photos are absolutely amazing, beautiful, spectacular and so creative! The gorge pictures had both my hands and feet sweating.... Now a solar eclipse, camels, sand caves, the olympics, and more gorgeous countryside: your journey just keeps getting better and better! Thanks SO much for sharing it all with us---miss and love you both lots~
1st August 2008

summer travels
Tiger Leaping Gorge, Jade Dragon Snow Mountains - how magnificent. Your photography could be in National Geographic!!! Love that photo of Stephanie "hugging mountains". How do you do it - leap on the steep ledge? As if 5 days of hiking in those high mountains isn't enough, you crossed that water fall in a storm. Love your mountain horse story. However, must have been a scare losing the path under such weather conditions. Apples won't be looked at in the same way again. The total eclipse was on TV news. So many experiences. So many memories.
3rd August 2008

leaping tigers
Wow, wow, wow!!! What amazing pictures and video. I loved the sound of the rushing river. It's so great that you two are finding "mamas" wherever you go. I'll have to look up the story of the "leaping tiger." Stephanie, the photo of you hugging the mountains is spectacular, but it makes my heart skip a few beats. So glad the summer is bringing so many wonderful adventures and memories to last a lifetime. Grandma is loving your letters. "I got something wonderful," she called from the mailbox when she got your last letter while we were there. Love you both so much!!!
3rd August 2008

PS:
Thanks so much for the great map!
8th August 2008

Amazing!
Oh my gosh...your pictures are so beautiful! You guys look like you're having so much fun and are really happy....miss you so much!
10th August 2008

You must be enjoying the olympics
10th August 2008

Olympics
You must be enjoying the Olympics right about now. That opening ceremony was the most creative, spectacular opening ceremony I have had the privilege to watch (via TV). Walking horizontal to the ground, while being dangled from wires in the air - too much. And, that "box" routine, I thought it looked like a computerized program, the participants were so perfect in their performance. So, are you planning on staying in China and teaching another semester or year? I will be touring Japan October 20, for 12 days, with same company as the Tailand tour. Can't wait.
13th August 2008

Cody
Do you have transition lenses? Wow. Awesome. Great. etc.
19th August 2008

Picture 17.
Did you ride that tiny horse? Wow, China is crazy.
19th August 2008

ditto to the commento uno before the last. know what i'm sayin?
22nd August 2008

These pictures are not just memories- they're art! It's impressive that you can capture the spirit of your love and your adventure in one still shot-

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb