Total Eclipse (of the heart, sun)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Xinjiang » Hami
August 19th 2008
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Eclipse Team 2008Eclipse Team 2008Eclipse Team 2008

Those who refused to pay the 800 RMB price tag for the hastily-crafted "eclipse packages" that took you out to the "eclipse viewing zone". We took a 7 RMB bus out to our own "eclipse viewing zone". Team members: Cody and Stephanie, your authors; John, English Backpacker we met on the road; Katja Swiss-born Uzbek; Donna, American teaching in Beijing. Also in the photo is our new friend from the restaurant in the background.
One lazy day in Tiger Leaping Gorge (Yunnan province), we started planning our next adventures. As we consulted our guidebook and prepared to travel further south, a nice British lad suggested we check out Xinjiang.

Xinjiang - the Chinese province that borders Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Mongolia, and Tibet and houses the Taklamakan and part of the Gobi Desert, along with the southern reaches of the Siberian Taiga.

Why we hadn't thought of this earlier was beyond us, but from that moment forward, our sights were set on the Northwest.

Some of our most memorable moments from our travels in Northwest China included a camel trek complete with desert camp-out under the stars, a trip with our first Chinese tour group to the breathtaking blues and greens of Kanas Lake (northern Xinjiang), a TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE!, lots of great Uigher and Hui (ethnic minorities in Xinjiang) food, and the best melon we have ever tasted in the city of Hami (the Chinese name for melon is Hamigua - this city is where it got it's name).

Another very memorable part of travelling the Northwest during this tumultuous time in China was the dramatic increase in
The Long and Dusty TrailThe Long and Dusty TrailThe Long and Dusty Trail

Our walk out to our total eclipse viewing spot. In the desert, outside of Daquanwan, Xinjiang province. (In the path of totality!) I believe the parasols were for the intense (soon to be eclipsed) sun.
police presence, secuirity check-points, and restrictions for foreigners - something we had previously barely experienced. This meant being kicked out of our mom & pop hotel in Urumqi because the hotel didn't have the permit required to accept foreigners. After being kicked out at 12:30am we were offered some other "appropriate" hotel choices which were all 4 or 5 stars (about 8 stars above the places we usually stay ...) and were way too expensive. The bright side of this was that our eviction resulted in an interesting introduction to the bathouses of China (see pictures).

Along with the hassles of frequently checked passports and restricted paths, there was also the real presence of violence as there were bombings in two cities (Kashgar and Khotan) while we were in Xinjiang province. What we gathered, was that these bombings were in protest of the way ethnic minorities in the area are treated by the Chinese government and were conducted at a time when all eyes are on China, (however if anyone has more information on these events and would like to post a comment please feel free). On our way out of the province, a Han Chinese woman on the
How Most of the Eclipse Day Was SeenHow Most of the Eclipse Day Was SeenHow Most of the Eclipse Day Was Seen

...through a pair of binoculars.
train eagerly attributed the Xinjiang attacks to the conflict with Tibet, specifically the Dalai Lama, who seems to be a common scapegoat for any and all uprisings right now whether they are related or not. The Dalai Lama was described to us by a co-worker as 'a selfish man who will stop at nothing to get what he wants ...' (sigh)

So, after a stop in Xi'an (terracotta warriors! pics and commentary to come - we can't upload photos at this internet bar) we made our way to Beijing! And it is from here that we write this entry. Check out the photos on this post for more details about our Xinjiang adventures and stay tuned for Olympic wonderment!

Adios.

p.s. Please check back at a later time, as we will add a video or two from the Eclipse Day, 2008. Thanks!






Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Fun Eclipse Tricks to Try at HomeFun Eclipse Tricks to Try at Home
Fun Eclipse Tricks to Try at Home

Supplies needed: -1 pair binoculars (monocular OK) -1 piece paper -1 eclipse of the sun (partial eclipse OK) Directions: See photo. Enjoy
Eclipse TeamEclipse Team
Eclipse Team

While waiting for eclipse totality, we ate the local melon and drank the local beer. Wonderful afternoon.
Our Chinese Tour Bus!Our Chinese Tour Bus!
Our Chinese Tour Bus!

It was us and 34 Chinese tourists going to Kanas Lake, northern Xinjiang. Here is Stephanie at a rest stop!
Kanas Trip Rest StopKanas Trip Rest Stop
Kanas Trip Rest Stop

Buy some melons, or interesting desert rocks, or a pelt!
KanasKanas
Kanas

Beauty. Blue blue skies next to amazingly hued waters
Northern Xinjiang LandscapeNorthern Xinjiang Landscape
Northern Xinjiang Landscape

Quite different than many other places we've seen in China.
These Are the Real ColorsThese Are the Real Colors
These Are the Real Colors

Really. No joke. Amazing.
A Curious Lichen (At Kanas Lake)A Curious Lichen (At Kanas Lake)
A Curious Lichen (At Kanas Lake)

Any botanist out there want to do an informal identification?
Pan-o-ramaPan-o-rama
Pan-o-rama

Taken from the end of one of the Kanas lake walking paths.
SkippinSkippin
Skippin

Honestly the best crop of grade-A skippers we've ever stumbled upon. Worth the trip alone. Really.
Rock HoppingRock Hopping
Rock Hopping

The perfect rocks for bounding: good grip, evenly spaced --not too far apart (water hazard), not too close (So boring)-- and very sturdy (no wobblers).
Wind-Blown Root WallWind-Blown Root Wall
Wind-Blown Root Wall

Exposed root system of a tree that was blow over in a serious Kanas lake storm.
Found a Walking StickFound a Walking Stick
Found a Walking Stick

...as per usual
Lake and ShadowsLake and Shadows
Lake and Shadows

Quite a view.
ANTS!!!ANTS!!!
ANTS!!!

We found a monsterous pile of an ant hill alongside the path along Kanas lake that you could actually hear buzzing with life. While taking this picture, we were both crawling with ANTS!!!


20th August 2008

The Northwest
Wow! I'd love to go on a camel caravan! How hot was it in the desert? I take it you didn't see any scorpions! And to see the total eclipse--what a super experience. The bathouse looks like pampering at its finest. What a grand way to watch the start of the Olympics--and it must have been great to watch it with people from China and experience their pride firsthand. Love ya!
24th August 2008

Sand dunes, camel riding, camping in the Gobi - makes me speechless. What extraordinary experiences. Love your photos of the dunes. So, you traveled part of the Silk Road. Amazing. I just read a little something about Marco Polo, and you are giving him a run for the money.
10th September 2008

Couples Weekend 2008
OMG-LOL-LYLAS. I'm so jealous right now, mainly of those sweet jammies, but also of the camel ride. I can't imagine how funny that night on the luxury recliner would have been with you guys. I think I have found the location of the next couples weekend.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb