Leaping tiger, Hidden gorge(ous)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Yunnan » Tiger Leaping Gorge
July 11th 2015
Published: September 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

One of the reasons we visited Lijiang was to do the 'gruelling' 2 day trek to Tiger Leaping Gorge. The legend tells the story of a tiger that leapt from a rock across the raging gorge to the other side. One thing we now know for certain though - There are definately no tigers on the trek. Getting up extra early so we could grab our regular order of baba & bao zi for breakfast we then followed on... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 21


Advertisement










17th September 2015
P feeling very brave

TIGER LEAPING GORGE
Definitely a big tick for this one C & P...fabulous blog. Your verve, vision, bravery and persistence is truly admirable. To get among the mountains of south west China is a must in my book be it Yunnan or Sichuan...the eastern Himalayas have an aura that will remain with you always. The last time I was in Lijiang there were a lot of plans to dam the river before Tiger Leaping Gorge which would reduce the raging torrent somewhat. Any word on whether that has happened or is still happening?
19th September 2015
P feeling very brave

Tiger leaping Gorge
We agree the scenery was stunning all around here. Would gave done more trekking in Shangri-la if we had the time. Maybe next time. There was talk that they were building the dam when we were there also. This apparently explained why the gorge was a murky brown and not a vibrant blue like some pictures hung around a resturaunt we saw. Just checked online and it appears the proposals were scrapped in 2007 although a few have been built just outside the area.
18th September 2015

Your pictures do the trail justice...
I wouldn't want to trip on any of the many rocks! You sure are tempting fate with the Great Wall and then this walk.
19th September 2015

Thank you. We were a little daring, especially for photo opps. The pictures make it look far worse than it was. Not too many lose rocks like the great wall.
18th September 2015
Local taking in the views

Gorgeous gorge and photos!
I know I've said this before, but this really was my favorite of your daring exploits, though it's always so amazing seeing locals on the trail, laden down with supplies for the guesthouses or whatever, when you strapping, young trekkers are huffing and puffing. Thanks so much for letting us live this vicariously! While I love swinging rope bridges and heights, I've no longer the stamina for intense trekking (waa). Fabulous photos, and I love the picturesque place names--Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, Tiger Leaping Gorge, etc. Who would have thought that China was an adventure destination!
19th September 2015
Local taking in the views

Gorgeous photos and gorge
Thanks Tara. Glad you have a few favourites. We are more daring than we like to think. If you ever visit the area don't be put off by the length. It was for us unmissible. A true highlight. We took it really slow, but people take it even slower and trek over 3 days. Theres various guest houses along the way. The views here were stunning and we did not feel it was too dangerous at all.
20th September 2015
Local taking in the views

Slow poke here
Thanks for the info, Mike and P. Dangerous doesn't bother me much--I like that edge. I hike every day, but I've just become so slow compared to even 5 years ago--and well I know that trick of stopping to take in the view while I'm really trying to catch my breath! So this is great news that there are lots of guesthouses and I could take three days. I never really had much of a desire to go to China, but you two are making it sound very enticing!
22nd September 2015
Local taking in the views

Slow poke
Thanks Tara. It really was one of our favourite places for scenery so if you like trekking (even at a slow pace) cannot recommend China enough. The options are endless.
21st September 2015

Spectacular Gorge
I had a feeling you weren't going to miss the opportunity to do this trek :) Amazing photos guys! And so lucky with the weather you were! I wasn't as lucky, only one day of semi-good weather and the next day of rain, so didn't have a chance to climb up to the rock. Was really curious how this part looked like and now I know what I've missed, will definitely have to get back there some day for sure... Absolutely incredible place and I have to say I was also surprised about the lack of Chinese tourists there... Like you said, the less people on the trek the better, so let's hope it stays this way. I also stayed at the guesthouse with the best toilet view, the owners seemed to be very proud about that :) thanks for bringing back memories once again :)
22nd September 2015

Spectacular Gorge
Thanks Anna. I'm glad you felt the same way about the trek too and that you were able to relive your time there. Sorry to hear you were unfortunate with the weather and you couldn't descend to the gorge. As you said, it's certainly worth going back for. For us the scenary between halfway and Tinas was our favourite and we also enjoyed being so close to the raging gorge. I could easily see myself going back to do it again. ?

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb