Shangri-La???


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Diqing
September 17th 2006
Published: September 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The ResortThe ResortThe Resort

Banyan Tree Ringha
We arrived at the Banyan Tree Resort Ringha, which is in the Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Yunnan Province, early morning Saturday 16th Sept. It is reputed to be the valley of Shangri La referred to in Milton's Lost Paradise. We checked into our Tibetan Suite room, which is basically in one half of a Tibetan house that had been, with others, relocated to the resort, and refitted to capture the essence of Tibet. Georgous room, well appointed and plenty of space! So far so good.... but it's at an elevation of 3300m above sea level, and I had a real struggle that first day with shortness of breath, dizziness and headache. Nevertheless, decided I might be up to a short walk to the spa to get a massage, thinking it would be a good way to get over travel weariness. It was! Dinner was the local specialty hot pot, with yak meat and lots of other goodies cooked in a black-chicken and ham broth. Again, so far so good....but we had too much excitement the first night in the room (and not of the amorous type!). We had rats! Discovered the first one in the early hours when I went to bathroom and discovered the soap missing... and saw a rat scarpering across to floor and up the stairs to the bedroom. Hollared at Becky, so of course we now have a full drama, calling the hotel operator to send someone to find this rat and get it out of our room. A young man came over, but rat couldn't be found. We eventually got back to sleep. Then at 8am, I was awoken by Becky screaming because a rat was on her bedside table watching her! He scarpered as soon as she screamed, of course.
Next step, called the manager. Nice man, but he said the hotel was infested this time of year (harvest) and they have not found a solution. So, we ordered up some rat traps that are now distributed strategically around our room. Bit annoying to pay $380 night (a fortune in China) and have to share your room with rats!
Today, we went on a supposedly "light" trek to acclimatize. Hell, it nearly killed us! Up mountains, through swamps and bogs.... and the guide knew nothing about anything!
So, tonight we are staying in, resting, and sleeping with the lights on to discourage the rats. Maybe tomorrow will be better. But Shangri la it ain't!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0908s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb