Kashgar


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Xinjiang » Kashgar
October 18th 2005
Published: November 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

MaoMaoMao

I don't know if he tells me 'Hello' or 'Goodbye'.
Kashgar is the first major city in China when you come from Pakistan. At first it looks very Chinese. Big modern buildings, broad streets. One very big east-west street and one very big north-south street. Transport system is well organized, Chinese Supermarkets everywhere. A huge statue of Mao Zedong at the main street.
But most of the people do not look Chinese at all. They look like people from central Asia. And when you take a second glance you can find signs of their culture everywhere. This becomes especially obvious at the markets. Kashgar is famous for its Sunday market. When I visited it I was a bit disapointed because it was not so special, not especially big (maybe due to the season) and mostly Chinese. Not the variety of things and goods I hoped to see. Much more interesting was the livestock market outside the city. Here the non-chinese locals trade there cattle, sheep, goats, donkeys, horses and even some camels. Lots of old men with nice hats bargain and test and examine all these.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Grim Face...Grim Face...
Grim Face...

Maybe the price for cattle droped.
Sell a Horse...Sell a Horse...
Sell a Horse...

...with harness and wagon is what he does.
KnivesKnives
Knives

Wether for tourists or for farmers, they need to be sharp.
Three SistersThree Sisters
Three Sisters

Once they lived on a nice and green meadow...


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb