Potala Palace and Jokhang Temple: Lhasa Days 3 & 4


Advertisement
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
May 6th 2017
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Great start to Tibet and also starting to get a little more acclimated to the altitude, in hindsight I think the tour was designed in such a way as to do some lighter touring in the first couple of days (with some stairs at the monasteries) before tackling the many steps at the Potala Palace and later on in the week Everest Base Camp... This day was all about the two major sites here in Lhasa: th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sneakaroo PicSneakaroo Pic
Sneakaroo Pic

...at the performance, not many folks there...great show though...
Bridge to Lukhang Temple...Bridge to Lukhang Temple...
Bridge to Lukhang Temple...

...in the middle of the lake...
Lovely K at DunyaLovely K at Dunya
Lovely K at Dunya

...goofing around with some black and white pics..
Makye AmeMakye Ame
Makye Ame

...stopped for lunch here, apparently the 6th Dalai Lama would secretly meet his forbidden love here way back when...cool spot...(KC)



1st July 2017
Potala Palace

Beautiful
I have seen many photos of this palace, but never realised the scale of it until I saw this photo. I love the calmness of the design, probably helped by all those white walls...
4th July 2017
Potala Palace

Potala..
...on the hill like that it was both striking and serene all at the same time...
1st July 2017

The Barkhor
Wonderful to see pics of one of our favourite places...views over the Barkhor to the Potala from the roof of the Jokhang Temple. We had heard the Chinese since we were there were building a carpark that would impede the circumambulation around the Jokhang and security in the Barkhor was tight. Did you see any evidence of that? Great to see your blog of the delights of Lhasa...one of travels great destinations.
4th July 2017

Carpark?
Fortunately no, we were able to wander around the circuit at both Jokhang and Potala, but security was pretty tight with bag scanners and metal detectors at each entry point...definite a continuous police/army presence though, vans full of riot police were seen a few times and the checkpoints when we left Lhasa were plentiful and well manned...even leaving Lhasa the security at the airport was like none I had seen, they took mine and K's passport for extra verification which was bizarre...shudder to think what's going to happen when the current Dalai Lama passes...thanks for the comment...
1st July 2017
Potala Palace

The Potala
Fabulous
4th July 2017
Potala Palace

Truly is...
...went back a couple times on our own to just admire it and snap as many photos as we could...haha...
3rd July 2017
Potala Palace

Tibet
We were heading to Tibet a few years ago and then there were restrictions that prevented that trip. We long to go. I would love to see this location.
4th July 2017
Potala Palace

What a shame...
...that is too bad, was it extra visa restrictions that popped up? Or the earthquake? Not the easiest place to travel to but well worth it, hope you guys make it happen someday...

Tot: 0.452s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 27; dbt: 0.4197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb