The World's Largest Buddha


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Leshan
October 15th 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The BuddhaThe BuddhaThe Buddha

Can't fit him all in one photo! That ear is 7m long!
This we had to see as it was in our area of travel, The World's Largest Buddha, standing overlooking the River. Carved into the rocky river bank / cliff. We joined the crowds and I mean crowds, to climb the steep steps down to the Buddha's feet. A dramatic sight, an overwhelming 71m high, ears 7m long, feet 8.5m wide, 1 toe being 8.5m long! It was simply huge! It was in 713AD when a Buddhist monk, Haitong began building it. 90 years after his death the Buddha was completed. Inside him is a water drainage system which prevents him from weathering away. On top of the cliff it was quite spiritual, with temples, pagodas, a mini waterafall and ponds with impressive goldfish.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Another viewAnother view
Another view

71m high
Now that's what you call big feet!Now that's what you call big feet!
Now that's what you call big feet!

Foot 8.5m wide and 1 toe measuring 8.5m long!
Real crowds of Chinese.Real crowds of Chinese.
Real crowds of Chinese.

Why did I have to have the spitting man behind me?! Don't worry I lost him on the steps down!
Carefully down we go!Carefully down we go!
Carefully down we go!

Phil was being a gentleman and letting the older folk pass him.
On the way down.On the way down.
On the way down.

Don't slip! Not for those with a fear of heights!
Boo!Boo!
Boo!

Some disciples of Confucious used to live in this tiny cave!


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb