Levi's excursion to Dujiangyan irrigation scheme


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
September 13th 2016
Published: September 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

A few days ago, we went to a famous irrigation scheme called 'Dujiangyan irrigation scheme'. A famous man, named Li Bing, made the irrigation scheme. The river scheme is over 2000 years old and is world heritage. When we arrived, I thought we were just visiting mountains and walking around them. The first place was a whole bunch of markets, which is where we had lunch. Then we climbed quite a few steps to get to the walking path in the mountains. Everyone wanted to go ahead but the teachers wanted us to stay and listen to the story of the irrigations scheme. As we were walking along, we got to the first big lookout. The view was spectacular. That is when i realised we were at the irrigation scheme. We walked further up the path and it split. One path kept going around the circuit and the other went to the temple at the summit. We all chose to climb the mountain to go to the summit. We climbed a billion steps and at the next staircase to the temple, we found out we had to pay to get there. So we went back down, a little annoyed and continued the circuit. As we crossed the river, everyone tried to make the suspension bridge swing. When we got up to the first stage of the irrigation scheme called the 'fish mouth', Lisa and Guomin told us a whole bunch of things about the river which at the time went right through one ear and out the other (we revisited the information the next day in main lesson). We got to another section and Lisa explained that the cliff had been cut away so that the water could run fast and straight to get rid of the sediment. There was a submerged wall to keep the river flowing in the same direction. The submerged wall was made out of rocks in a bamboo cage to stop the wall eroding and washing away. I really enjoyed the irrigation scheme and loved the views.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb