Chengdu - Giant Pandas and more


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
November 19th 2006
Published: November 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Three Yearling Pandas having breakfastThree Yearling Pandas having breakfastThree Yearling Pandas having breakfast

Three Yearling Pandas having breakfast
Well after 16 hours on the train from Xian to Chengdu we got to our hotel bleary eyed and looking forward to a hot shower only to find that our rooms weren't ready!! So a healthy dose of body spray later we went for some breakfast to sustain us. After a hearty breakfast it was off the the Giant Panda Breeding Centre. We got there at 8:00am which is a great time as that is when the Pandas get fed and therfore are at their most active. They only eat bamboo - which doesn't provied much energy so they sleep a lot. We were lucky enough to have a Giant Panda entertain us with acrobatic on a swing and then watched 3 yearlings munching away on bamboos. We then saw the baby Pandas (born in August) be cleanded by their keepers. We also saw the red pandas. They are such cute creatures and it was an amazing experience being able to see them. Thank you Mum/Aunty for answering our panda question after watching the movie at the entre we know know a lot more about these wonderful creatures.

We went for a vegetarian lunch that afternoon (after our showers, I
Three Yearling Pandas having breakfastThree Yearling Pandas having breakfastThree Yearling Pandas having breakfast

Three Yearling Pandas having breakfast
hasten to add). All the dishes were tofu based and had been created to taste like meat. The beef and chicken were pretty goo byt I didn't think too much of the fish but Rahim liked it.
We then wandered around the monastery and saw some trainee minks being taught how to put on their outer robes. Some of them had reall trouble with it.
That evening we went to the Chengdu culture show. It started slow with Chinese opera that we didn't really like but then we saw a great puppet show, foot acrobatica, a shadow puppet show and the best part - the bit I was really looking forward to - the Mask changing. This is where they perform a dance that involves changing their masks at lightning speed. It is a big part of Chinese Opera and we were really looking forward to seeing it being performed. The actors also then run into the audience and change their masks right in front of your face - very dramatic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Panda on a SwingPanda on a Swing
Panda on a Swing

They are definitely more active when hungry!
Panda Sleeping in a TreePanda Sleeping in a Tree
Panda Sleeping in a Tree

This is Jing Jing the Olympic Mascot Panda.
Ren PandaRen Panda
Ren Panda

Cute but not as impressive as the Giants!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb