getting back in the routine


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
August 16th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Emily and Mrs. WinterEmily and Mrs. WinterEmily and Mrs. Winter

Emily wore her new outfit from Aunt Julie to the open house. So cute.
We've been back in Shanghai for less than a week and we are back in almost full swing. Our new apartment is good, we are getting used to things. Mark did some amazing work on the place when the kids and I went to the US for two weeks. He did a trip to IKEA and solved a lot of our storage issues by buying and building three dressers and some other shelves/bins for all our clothes. The apartment is furnished but really lacked in the storage/drawer area and it's much better now. I have since been back to IKEA and bought a chair for Nathan's desk--the one provided doesn't fit under the desk and his room is packed as it is without a huge chair taking up space. I also bought and built a step stool so we can reach all our limited cupboards in the kitchen and closets. Talk about first apartment flashbacks. Or maybe second apartment. IKEA was all the rage and was the higher end furniture when compared with the hand me down couches and tables we had from my parents. Now, living in these apartments in China, I still prefer and appreciate IKEA furniture to the older, dated furniture we have at the new apartment.

We arrived in Shanghai on Wednesday afternoon and spent the first few days recovering from the brutality that is jetlag. Back to back jetlag is even worse--going to the US from China and back again in two weeks--not recommended for the weak spirited. I have woken up with both kids on various mornings in the 3s, 4s and 5s. I think we're past the worst of it, which is good since school starts tomorrow.

We visited the school and met the teachers on Friday. It was fantastic to be somewhere so welcoming and familiar. I still feel so lucky to have found SCIS and such a warm and welcoming school community. The school was back in operation and we visited old teachers we knew, met some knew ones, including Emily's grade two teacher. Both kids have great teachers this year and we are excited to have them get back to their Mandarin studying. I think Mark and I are more excited about this than the kids at this point. Having been in Shanghai for most of the summer, I think the kids are in a good position to jump back into more formal learning. We practiced plenty this summer and I'm sure that will show when they get assessed at school.

We saw our pals Joanna, Ian, William and Sophie for dinner Saturday night. It was a great reunion which of course started with a meet up at the DVD store--stocking up on the new releases including the much anticipated and very enjoyable Hannah Montana movie (start screaming girl soundtrack now). Then it was off to the Blue Frog restaurant for Emily's favorite mac and cheese (favorite in Shanghai, that is!). In fact, Emily was featured in City Weekend magazine in a "My City" section. I helped her write the blurb but the ideas and words were hers. She described the Blue Frog mac and cheese and when we showed the restaurant manager, he bought Emily and her friends ice cream for dessert. Grandpa Slaven was very proud of this demonstration of what are clearly dominant Slaven genes. The Slavens are known for working the free stuff angle and the more important free dessert angle whenever and wherever possible.

Nathan enjoyed time at a sleepover on Saturday with his best pal in town, Thomas. The two had a cute reunion at school Friday and the sleepover was planned and executed soon after. The boys are not in the same class this year, but they will see each other a lot at recess and lunch.

Today was a fun day. We met Ray's parents and went out to lunch with them. Ray and Mark went to high school, and Ray was out of town, so we went over and took the parents to our favorite area (Tai Kang Lu) for a Vietnamese lunch. We had the benefit of borrowing Ray's driver and car for the day and that was super fun. We felt like royalty being driven to and from various destinations. We had a lot of fun visiting and sharing stories. Ray's parents live in Ohio not too far from Mark's parents. Small world indeed.

Now we are back home unwinding and getting ready for school tomorrow. I have located the backpacks and one of two water bottles. I found out on Friday that our bus pickup is five minutes later--so 7:25am. I was thrilled to gain the minutes and we are also a building closer to the pickup location. That's probably worth a minute or two as well. These things matter when I'm screaming "it's time! it's time!" five days a week.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

full loadfull load
full load

classic example of the Chinese way being the better way. Imagine how many car trips this would take, and the flowers would be crushed.


29th September 2009

Hi!
I guess you live in Pudong...my son went to SCIS Hongqiao for 3 years. We have now move to Bangkok. Seems there are quite a lot of families living in Shanghai on travelblog. Fun! Hpe to meet you guys one day soon...Peter

Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb