A trip to the 'burbs'


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
December 2nd 2006
Published: December 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ahhh, finally relief from the city and the "sea of black hair" - which is exactly what my 5'5" vantage point views. A sunny day about 60km out of Shanghai at lovely Sheshan park. Climbed lots of tiny steps up a hill, then up through a bamboo forest to a 1930's basilica at the top of the hill. Stopped along the way to check out our first buddah - just as expected, still fat, gold, and surrounded by melted candle wax outside and coins at the altar inside. Yah, this is the real thing. Next stop to "bang a bell". Larger than the liberty bell and shaped such that when struck by a long, horizontal log, will vibrate to produce a deep pitch hummm that leaves you somehow feeling relaxed from the inside out. Well worth the 5rmb fee for the 3 of us to strike the bell. The view of the city in the distance makes us all question if Shanghai really ever ends! A cable car ride back to the bottom completes our first adventure out of the city. Accompanied by our wonderful driver who teaches us mandarin and guides us as well - we feel lucky and once again are reminded - man, we're really in China!

On the way home we stop at a "flower market" in Shanghai to select our China Christmas tree for 2006. It's a fat potted evergreen, about 8 feet tall, cost 420rmb (around $50) delivered. After a few days of searching out both live and artificial trees, Ty and Jessie immediately say "This is it!" - it's the best we're going to find here! Guess we'll have something to decorate our patio once Christmas is over too. Finally, dinner out on the bund (the Huangpu river front) at the german restaurant, "The Paulanar" with friends the Jurgins' and the Brooks'. Lovely view of the many boats all vibrantly lit up as they slowly traverse the river outside. Warm inside and food and conversation are great. Days in Shanghai are never routine and always seem to be filled from morning to eve. Even when we return at 11pm, the guards at Vizcaya are willing to help us get our tree and potted poinsettias back to our home from the office where they are being held for us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb