China Again


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Pudong
November 2nd 2013
Published: November 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

It has been a few days since arriving in Hong Kong and then moving on to Shanghai. Hong Kong was fun with both work and some play. The Peninsula Hotel was a wonderful experience with drinks up on top in the Felix restaurant - surely the best view of Hong Kong and Victoria harbour. High Tea on the ground floor is also one of the best in Hong Kong - although Kowloon side.

On this trip I got to know the city and outlying area a lot more than on previous quick visits. The southern areas of Hong Kong island are quieter than the busy north side. Stanley is a beautiful beach front neighbourhood and Wang Chuk Hang is an up and coming former industrial area turning commercial And residential.

We arrived in Shanghai on Thursday and made our way to the Hyatt on the Bund. The views of the Pearl of the Orient tower, river below and the Bund are spectacular. In the evening I visited an old haunt - the Jazz Club at the Peace Hotel (formerly the Cathay Hotel). Friday was spent relaxing and visiting the Shanghai Museum. It really is a must see in Shanghai. The Chinese painting gallery has one of the best selections of artists and high tech displays with lights turned off or dimmed until the viewer walks towards the brushwork and then the lights slowly turn on to illuminate the masterpiece.

Today is Saturday a traditional day of work for me. The business lounge was quiet with few hotel stragglers. The coffee and tea were available all day with pleasant smiling servers at the ready to make a latte or cappuccino. I didn't accomplish everything that I wanted to do but did get some work done. The main thing is to come up with a lecture and power point presentation by mid week. The lecture is not until Friday afternoon in Beijing but it still needs to be translated into Chinese for Friday.

Tomorrow, Sunday, will be a busy day on the Bund but the plan is to take time out to visit a beautiful scholar's rock garden just near the bottom part of the Bund. I was there in 2003 and really enjoyed it. Hopefully I will be able to find it again Tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb