Shanghai World Expo 2010 1st Visit


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Pudong
June 9th 2010
Published: June 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Fountain in Danish Pavillion 7 secs
2: Latvia Pavillion 4 secs
On Thursday, June 3rd, we went to the Shanghai World Expo for the first time. I don't recall seeing anywhere exactly how much area it covers, but it is big! There are 5 main areas, and we chose to start in area C, which has the Americas, Africa and Europe. After purchasing our tickets and getting through security, we just wandered a little to get an idea of what was around where we were. Neither one of us felt like standing in any lines for hours, so we only went in the pavillions with short or no lines. We were both just enjoying looking at the outsides of the pavillions from a distance, then getting up close to see what they were actually made of. The one we both enjoyed the outside of best was the Latvia Pavillion. It had little plastic flaps attached at the tops and they looked really pretty when the wind blew them, I posted a movie of them blowing in the wind.
I was glad to see that there were plentiful benches for resting our feet! We purchased little "Passport" booklets to get stamps from the various country pavillions we visited, but, once we got into the joint pavillions, we quit getting them for everywhere we visited. The elderly chinese people seemed to make a goal of getting those stamps their priority! They weren't even looking at the country displays - just going from one display to the next getting stamps! So, Leah and I looked at the displays, mostly without crowds, and skipped the stamps inless there was no line!
I will let the pictures explain what we saw! Of course, we saw WAY more than what the pictures show, these were just my favorites!
My favorite Pavillion was the one for Denmark. We did stand in line for close to an hour, but, I really wanted to see The Little Mermaid statue which they brought in from Copenhagen. The building itself was a big spiral with the pool and the Mermaid in the center. There was a track where you could ride bicycles up also. The main Expo website has info about all of the pavillions. Here is the link to the Denmark page : http://en.expo2010.cn/c/en_gj_tpl_21.htm .
At one point, we also saw a parade. It seemed to have some type of fantasy theme, but I don't know exactly what it was.
We plan to return a few times while we are here in Shanghai and hope to see a lot more of what is here, but, for now, please enjoy all of the pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DrumsDrums
Drums

Inside Angola Pavillion
LeahLeah
Leah

In line at Slovenia Pavillion
Joint African PavillionJoint African Pavillion
Joint African Pavillion

This is the end of the mural on the outside of the building


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0899s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb