My oh my, Shanghai!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Huangpu
December 21st 2010
Published: December 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

In China after helping a 12-year-old girl with her English homework on the train journey and I’m loving Shanghai. It was tough following Hong Kong and even though the skyline can’t compare the city was just as awesome. A mixture of huge skyscrapers, winding back alleys full of pagodas and bustling market streets, every corner turned offers you something new.

One day I went from being on the 100th floor of the tallest observatory in the world (it’s just a shame they obviously can’t get a window cleaner up there) to wandering the Chinese gardens in the warren of streets and gold edged houses that is the old quarter. The only annoying thing here is that they apparently don’t trust anyone to cross the roads as there are fences on every pavement and you either have to constantly go through underpasses and miss all the sites on the way or walk up masses of stairs to the overpass which inevitably doesn’t have an exit where you need one.

And surprisingly it’s all getting very Christmassy here, which was probably the biggest shock of all. Lights in all the trees, fake snowmen everywhere and Christmas songs being blasted out of every building, now all I need is the snow!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb