#139 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ( CONFUCIUS and his city, Qufu, Shandong,)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Shandong » Qufu
March 21st 2012
Published: March 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The time is so limited these days, though my thoughts and heart are always with my friends. Sharing these TravelBlog-entries and photos these past six years in China are one of my great joys. Researching and composing them is the best way for me to reflect on my adventures and experiences during my stay and travels in China. Most importantly, I love spending my time with the lovely and eager stude... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 81, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Conference room of the Kong familyConference room of the Kong family
Conference room of the Kong family

Visitors, guests, and business would be conducted in this formal conference room, within the Confucius Mansion.
Inside the garden of the Confucius MansionInside the garden of the Confucius Mansion
Inside the garden of the Confucius Mansion

To the rear of the Confucius Mansion, the garden is typical for Chinese gardens. Its main elements are: rocks, trees and plants, pavilions nd water.
Confucius Garden to the rear of the Confucius MansionConfucius Garden to the rear of the Confucius Mansion
Confucius Garden to the rear of the Confucius Mansion

It was certainly my favorite place to spend a few peaceful moments in the huge Kong Family compound.
Lotus patch inside the garden of the Confucius MansionLotus patch inside the garden of the Confucius Mansion
Lotus patch inside the garden of the Confucius Mansion

The Lotus plant and flower is one of the most important throughout Chinese history. Simply beautiful, versatile, and a source of food, both the seeds and the roots.
The leaves of the Lotus plant are huge and the flowers simple and extraordinary.The leaves of the Lotus plant are huge and the flowers simple and extraordinary.
The leaves of the Lotus plant are huge and the flowers simple and extraordinary.

The colors of the Lotus come in white and various shades of pink. The seeds will be used for in various food dishes, and the roots become various vegetable dishes. I eat both, and find them both delicious.
Close-up of a Lotus flowerClose-up of a Lotus flower
Close-up of a Lotus flower

Simple and delicate the theme of the flower is used in historical- and current artwork throughout China's history.
Pomegranate trees in bloomPomegranate trees in bloom
Pomegranate trees in bloom

The color of a blooming Pomegranate flower is a small, but bright deeply-pleasing orange. These turn into some of the most delicious and desirable fruits and healthy juices. During season, I can't get enough of them, though a little messy to eat.
The path toward the Confucius Cemetary is also lined with ancient Cypress trees..The path toward the Confucius Cemetary is also lined with ancient Cypress trees..
The path toward the Confucius Cemetary is also lined with ancient Cypress trees..

Just beyond the Cypress trees are lines of tourist shops.
Main Entrance to Confuscius Family Cemetery, The CONFUCIUS FOREST.Main Entrance to Confuscius Family Cemetery, The CONFUCIUS FOREST.
Main Entrance to Confuscius Family Cemetery, The CONFUCIUS FOREST.

No merchant are permitted beyond this memorial gate.
We are heading for the Final Archway, leading into the Confucius ForestWe are heading for the Final Archway, leading into the Confucius Forest
We are heading for the Final Archway, leading into the Confucius Forest

It is a short and quiet walk, only filled with the sounds of the birds, and the wonderful smell of the Cypress trees.
Walking toward the Tomb of ConfuciusWalking toward the Tomb of Confucius
Walking toward the Tomb of Confucius

After passing the final archway, a path leads toward the tomb mounts and tomb-halls. Mythical animals line the paths toward the grave of Confucius.
Mythological animals line the path toward a small temple.Mythological animals line the path toward a small temple.
Mythological animals line the path toward a small temple.

On both sides of the walkway, old Cypress trees and bautifully carved mythological animals guide the way. Behind the temple lies the earthen tomb of Confucius.
Praying in front of the simple tomb-mount of Confucius.Praying in front of the simple tomb-mount of Confucius.
Praying in front of the simple tomb-mount of Confucius.

Both parent and children pay their respect to the greatest sage and philosopher of China.
Many visitors show there respect in front of the tomb of Confucius.Many visitors show there respect in front of the tomb of Confucius.
Many visitors show there respect in front of the tomb of Confucius.

A large stone stele stands beyond the altar and behind the altar is the large earthen mount, the spot in which the body of Confucius is buried.



19th March 2012

Thanks
We visited Qufu when we were teaching in July Taizhou in 2008. Many happy memories. I am returning again this year to teach for the Education Department in Jiangsu in July.
19th March 2012

Looks like a wonderful time! I need to go back to China again one day. Great pictures and so incredible how his teachings are so relevant till this day.
19th March 2012

vielen Danke fuer das Blog. Gute Besserung!
20th March 2012

'Good to see you're still travelling...
Hi Hans, ‘Great photos again. Does Qufu have any of the original walls left? I did not fast track to the last photo like many others may have. Yes, beware of the sun. I assume you are back at the old college. I have almost completed updating my blog of Taizhou and other journeys before home (including the long overdue Silk Road trip). I will let you know when it is ready. Good luck with the coming year. John
20th March 2012

Hi again from Oz!
Another informative blog & great photos, Hans. I didn't quite get to Qufu, but looks like a fascinating place to visit. Enjoy and keep yourself well. Hugs Sue
26th March 2012

Interesting DIY tour
Hi Hans, it's always nice to read your travel blog and see how do you explore and enjoy different parts of China. I am going to Chengdu for several days during Easter Holiday, do you have any recommendations?

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb