#139 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ( CONFUCIUS and his city, Qufu, Shandong,)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Shandong » Qufu
March 21st 2012
Published: March 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The time is so limited these days, though my thoughts and heart are always with my friends. Sharing these TravelBlog-entries and photos these past six years in China are one of my great joys. Researching and composing them is the best way for me to reflect on my adventures and experiences during my stay and travels in China. Most importantly, I love spending my time with the lovely and eager stude... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 81, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

With its golden tiled roof, the Great Achievement Hall sits on top of a marble terrace.With its golden tiled roof, the Great Achievement Hall sits on top of a marble terrace.
With its golden tiled roof, the Great Achievement Hall sits on top of a marble terrace.

The golden roof of main building, the Great Achievement Hall, is usually only reserved for the emperors home. It signifies the respect the emperors had for Confucius.
The front facade is supported by these enormous marble columns.The front facade is supported by these enormous marble columns.
The front facade is supported by these enormous marble columns.

Each one is beautifully and elaborately carved with dragons.
Front view of the the Great Achievements HallFront view of the the Great Achievements Hall
Front view of the the Great Achievements Hall

The main temple of the Confucius compound is an imposing structure, supported by the unique marble columns, sitting on top of a white marble terrace.
The Great Achievements Hall honors China's most important sage.The Great Achievements Hall honors China's most important sage.
The Great Achievements Hall honors China's most important sage.

Golden-tiled roof, tranquil surroundings, supported by the most beautifully carved marble columns, and sitting on top of a white marble terrace are the signs of honor, usually only reserved for the emperor.
9 mythical animals decorate the eaves of the roof of the Great Achievements Hall, the main temple in honor of Confucius.9 mythical animals decorate the eaves of the roof of the Great Achievements Hall, the main temple in honor of Confucius.
9 mythical animals decorate the eaves of the roof of the Great Achievements Hall, the main temple in honor of Confucius.

The nine mythical animals are only reserved for the residence of China's emperors. It shows the reverence even the various dynasty emperors had for Confucius.
Close-up of the 9 mythical animals on the roof of the temple of Confucius in Qufu.Close-up of the 9 mythical animals on the roof of the temple of Confucius in Qufu.
Close-up of the 9 mythical animals on the roof of the temple of Confucius in Qufu.

For a man, who died unrecognized, his life is now celebrated as one of the giants of Chinese philosophical thoughts.
Prayers and wishes are attached to prayer-boards next to the Confucius Temple.Prayers and wishes are attached to prayer-boards next to the Confucius Temple.
Prayers and wishes are attached to prayer-boards next to the Confucius Temple.

Visitors and pilgrims from around the world leave their homage to this most importan sage of China.
Offering vessels in front of the gold-tiled Confucius Temple.Offering vessels in front of the gold-tiled Confucius Temple.
Offering vessels in front of the gold-tiled Confucius Temple.

The scent of incense permiates the surroundings of the Great Achievements Hall.
WE ARE NOW ON OUR WAY TO THE CONFUCIUS MANSION.WE ARE NOW ON OUR WAY TO THE CONFUCIUS MANSION.
WE ARE NOW ON OUR WAY TO THE CONFUCIUS MANSION.

Along the way to the family compound of Confucius , I meet this lovely friend.
 Entrance to the Confucius Mansion Entrance to the Confucius Mansion
Entrance to the Confucius Mansion

The Kong family lived in the heart of the town of Qufu, in the grand Confucius Mansion, wielding immense political authority and wealth.
 Inside the home-compound of Confucius Inside the home-compound of Confucius
Inside the home-compound of Confucius

Let's take a journey through the Confucius Mansion, the home of the Kong family-referred to by the Chinese as the First Family Under Heaven.
Ancient Weapons Ancient Weapons
Ancient Weapons

The array of weapons are just amazing, used during time of war or strife or for defense.
Tower of RefugeTower of Refuge
Tower of Refuge

In The Tower of Refuge the Kong family assembled in times of strife.
The Kong Family built a palatial mansion.The Kong Family built a palatial mansion.
The Kong Family built a palatial mansion.

Occupying over 40 acres, the mansion is divided into residential and administrative quarters, temples and halls, and a beautiful garden in the rear.



19th March 2012

Thanks
We visited Qufu when we were teaching in July Taizhou in 2008. Many happy memories. I am returning again this year to teach for the Education Department in Jiangsu in July.
19th March 2012

Looks like a wonderful time! I need to go back to China again one day. Great pictures and so incredible how his teachings are so relevant till this day.
19th March 2012

vielen Danke fuer das Blog. Gute Besserung!
20th March 2012

'Good to see you're still travelling...
Hi Hans, ‘Great photos again. Does Qufu have any of the original walls left? I did not fast track to the last photo like many others may have. Yes, beware of the sun. I assume you are back at the old college. I have almost completed updating my blog of Taizhou and other journeys before home (including the long overdue Silk Road trip). I will let you know when it is ready. Good luck with the coming year. John
20th March 2012

Hi again from Oz!
Another informative blog & great photos, Hans. I didn't quite get to Qufu, but looks like a fascinating place to visit. Enjoy and keep yourself well. Hugs Sue
26th March 2012

Interesting DIY tour
Hi Hans, it's always nice to read your travel blog and see how do you explore and enjoy different parts of China. I am going to Chengdu for several days during Easter Holiday, do you have any recommendations?

Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.171s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb