China's Army without weapons.


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
August 30th 2016
Published: September 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

No, I am not in China at the moment but as I indicated earlier, by writing this I am simply responding to requests to write about this past trip and which follows my earlier blogs "Shanghai, China - redefining modern" and "Yangtze River Cruise - bending water and the mind". So, here it is.

We were strongly advised by friends who had previously traveled to China, not to visit without seeing the Terracotta Army. Taking their advice, we found a tour that included a visit to Xi'an and to the mausoleum of Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China. In 1974 farmers in China who were digging a well for water, came across strange objects buried under the ground. What they discovered and which today is a UNESCO World Heritage site, was the funerary art buried with the Emperor (to protect him in the afterlife) and which is the focus of this blog.

The figures, dating from approximately the late third century BCE, vary in height according to their roles, with the tallest being the generals. The figures include warriors, chariots and horses. Their weapons have of course long since disintegrated with time. Estimates from 2007 were that
Our beautiful hotel in Xi'an. Our beautiful hotel in Xi'an. Our beautiful hotel in Xi'an.

Marble is extensively used in the modern hotels we stayed at. There is Gee at the counter (white pants).
the three pits containing the Terracotta Army held more than 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses and 150 cavalry horses, the majority of which remained buried in the pits nearby Qin Shi Huang's mausoleum, which in itself was a most impressive site to visit. Other terracotta non-military figures were found in other pits, including officials, acrobats, strongmen and musicians.

The location is famous for its jade mines. Its northern side was rich in gold while its southern side was rich in beautiful jade. The First Emperor, covetous of its fine reputation, therefore chose to be buried there.

While in Xi'an we visited a jade factory and marveled at the stunning array of carvings on display and for sale. We learnt that many customers have pieces shipped to their homes across the world. Many of them were absolutely huge, very heavy and had seemingly stratospheric price tags. We also visited a fine handmade furniture shop and were intrigued by the craftsmanship and skill of the workers there. Needless to say, we had neither the need nor the resources to purchase and ship any of the products back to Canada. However, I can imagine much of this art decorating several an austere palace or mansion somewhere in the world.

If anyone is considering a trip to China, I have to agree that a visit to this area is a definite must. Not only in Xi'an but elsewhere in China, as you will see later from our visit to the Forbidden City and other sites, the obvious power of the ancient rulers of this country were evidently staggering in scope and effect.

Our hotel in Xi'an did not disappoint and compared favorably to the other five star properties that we stayed at - marble everywhere. Our local tour guide was very knowledgeable and surprisingly vociferous with her political views, my having drawn that out from her as I am wont to do wherever I travel so as to learn the local people's perspective. It is therefore not surprising that my world view oftentimes differs vastly from those promoted on television for mass consumption.

Understanding the concept of utilizing these elaborate physical objects in such an enormous setting to protect a spiritual afterlife seemed bizarre at the time, given my Christian background and knowledge, and yet it fits in perfectly with everything that I learnt about ancient China.

I hope that my pictures, as challenging as it is, provide you with a real sense of the intricacy of design and detail that was so clear to us.

For me, China remains as alluring now as it was when Jeanette and I first visited and is certainly worth another visit. Having only just scratched the surface of this enormous country's wealth of history, culture and its mind-boggling modern opulence (one has to see it first hand to really appreciate it), a future trip will necessarily have to be tailored somewhat differently in terms of length and geography.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Jeanette with our Xi'an tour guide.Jeanette with our Xi'an tour guide.
Jeanette with our Xi'an tour guide.

I found her very knowledgeable but liberal with the expression of her strong political views.
"No photography""No photography"
"No photography"

This "No photography" sign was posted at the entrance but frankly I never noticed it until I looked at the pictures later. Anyway, nobody approached me to desist. It remains one of my more amusing pictures.
One of the three pits excavated and on display.One of the three pits excavated and on display.
One of the three pits excavated and on display.

Work continues with excavation and restoration.


1st September 2016

Army without weapons
Your description of the visit to China is so vivid and captivating that I wish I could visit also.
1st September 2016

"Adventurous"
Here is my new name for you:SUPER ADVENTUROUS" (SMILE)
14th September 2016

Physical efforts for spiritual afterlife
What seems strange to you was shared by other cultures, i.e. the Egyptians

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb