Food, fun and friends in spectacular St. Lucia!


Advertisement
Published: November 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

I'm in Heaven!I'm in Heaven!I'm in Heaven!

First stop on the way up was at our favourite local stone oven bakery on the Bar de Isle. Bread straight out of the oven - hot, crusty and filled with salt fish "buljolle" and washed down with a glass of sour orange drink - Couldn't have been better!
We arrived to a huge surprise - a downpour of rain as we exited our plane at Hewanorra International Airport. We seemed to have forgotten that November tends to be somewhat rainy although I must confess, previous Novembers never greeted us with such a watery reception.

Anyway, on exiting Customs we loaded up the rental SUV and headed up north amidst an understandably slowed traffic flow. As anxious as we were to reach "home", we simply had to make a stop at our favourite local bakery. Located roadside, just as we started to climb the Bar de Isle (the mountain separating east from west and between the lush valleys of Mabouya on the east and Cul de Sac on the west). There was a bevy of activity with several cars and vans stopping,their eager passengers converging with similar goals, as the tantalizing aroma of fresh-baked bread filled the crisp air. Bread here is always fresh and is usually completely gone before another batch is started. From boyhood days, hot fresh bread was always highly desired and I recall the constant long lines of patrons, bags in hand, jostling with others to ensure their purchase before it was all gone. Familiarly
The greatest mango on earth! The Julie.The greatest mango on earth! The Julie.The greatest mango on earth! The Julie.

Of the hundreds of varietes of mangoes in St. Lucia, of which I love many of the different tastes, in my books Julie is at the top of the food chain.
known as "Te te pain" because of the crusty pointed ends of the creole loaf, it is still popular to this day, although very few bakeries remain, having succumbed to the convenience of the modern supermarket and its machine formulated bread.

The food on St. Lucia never ceases to amaze me - from the sophisticated international standard cuisines, the countless great restaurants, to little roadside shacks and everything else in between. Not long after we arrived we were invited by good Swiss friends to join them and a friend over dinner. Our hostess' culinary skills were on full display, starting off with a most memorable appetizer of delicate smoked salmon and salad, setting the high standard of taste for the rest of our visit.

Aside from Gee's wonderful meals, beautiful fresh fruit and coconut water, we are enjoying each meal we have, savoring the superb and varied offerings available from the Bread Basket Restaurant's fish lunch (either Dorado or King I believe), including the beloved macaroni and cheese, to some local soup we couldn't resist recently just where we parked our car in downtown Castries. Watching patrons enjoying this local fare, we managed to get the last available meal and were not disappointed with its taste.

While certainly a sad occasion attending the funeral of a good friend's son, it became a wonderful opportunity to greet scores of friends that we had not seen for a long time. The warmth and obvious delight that they expressed to both of us, made us feel special indeed and set the tone once again for a visit to Saint Lucia that never fails to tug at our heart strings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Paw Paw (also known as Papaya)Paw Paw (also known as Papaya)
Paw Paw (also known as Papaya)

It must be the soil because this fruit is absolutely delicious in Saint Lucia.
Relaxing on Reduit Beach.Relaxing on Reduit Beach.
Relaxing on Reduit Beach.

Trying out our new Tommy Bahama lounge chairs.
Another lunch at home.Another lunch at home.
Another lunch at home.

Tuna, onions, cucumber salad, dasheen and hot pepper sauce.
Lunch at home.Lunch at home.
Lunch at home.

Tuna, onions, plantain, sweet potato, green beans and pumpkin - all Saint Lucia fresh! and prepared by Gee.
Royal Palm trees at Cap Estate.Royal Palm trees at Cap Estate.
Royal Palm trees at Cap Estate.

Gee admiring the Royal Palm trees we planted at our old home.
Our old home at Cap Estate.Our old home at Cap Estate.
Our old home at Cap Estate.

Now owned by close friends.


13th November 2016

Good eating!
13th November 2016

Jealous!
Oh Roger ......... I so want to eat that Julie mango............fully agree about it being the most delicious variety. And the local fish and ground provisions ........huh! And the paw paw. As for the bread ........ I used to know where every little local bakery was located, but sadly can no longer have that enjoyment. Enjoyed your blog but am wondering whose son died? Please give my love to Jeanette and I hope you both continue to enjoy every minute on our island home.
13th November 2016

Just Jealous
Simply brilliant roger and Jeanette. Can't wit to return
14th November 2016

Best soup
You have to try the lentil soup at Gobble, opposite Place Carenage. It is the best lentil soup in the world! This from the flattered Swiss hostess
14th November 2016

thanks
Thanks again Roger for your wonderful travel blog. You are always very informative and narrate beautifully your experiences. How we wish we were there !!!

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb