Morocco - pushing the senses!


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco
May 19th 2016
Published: May 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Only method of transportation inside the Medina.Only method of transportation inside the Medina.Only method of transportation inside the Medina.

Sometimes we would have to enter a shop to let the animals pass us but shopkeepers never complained. I am so pleased that Travelblog has named this photograph their "Picture of the Week"
Our visit to Morocco, the only country that we have visited on the African continent so far, was an absolute stimulus to our cultural and gastronomic senses. When we toured part of that country a few years ago, we found that it was a country that forces any Western visitor to fully appreciate the great chasm that exists between the West and those countries that struggle to adopt modern imperatives, yet preserving the rich ancient culture that makes them so appealing to an outsider. If it can manage to successfully maneuver through the economic minefields especially, and stave off following the path led by many of its neighbors since the Arab Spring convulsion, then it will remain a most alluring and safe country to visit, despite the high levels of poverty.

In this blog, I draw from Jeanette's copious notes and my memory, having only recently located the photographs that I had stored safely away but forgotten in one of my external hard drives. I will place my emphasis on the captions below the pictures that I have selected rather than use exhaustive narrative to convey a sampling of our experiences in this most wonderful of countries. We visited Tangiers,
Roger and Jeanette astride two patient creatures.Roger and Jeanette astride two patient creatures.Roger and Jeanette astride two patient creatures.

Perhaps giving us the confidence to try participating in the Amazing Race? I don't think so; they can get a little feisty!
Asilah, Fez, Meknes, Marrakesh, Casablanca and Rabat and it was an eyeopening glimpse into an Arab country that does not harbor any overt hostility to the West.

There were many standouts and countless pictures from the visit but I choose to highlight the following because they had special significance to us in one way or another, although it is but only a sampling:


• Having checked into our brand new hotel in Marrakesh, we decided to spoil ourselves with a bath in their luxury Hammam. It was a two-hour private pampering experience of a lifetime. In the first room we were stripped to underwear and given a robe then headed to the Hammam itself where the attendant poured warm rose water over us. Then in another room we were scrubbed vigorously to remove dead skin, then coated with ghassoul (a natural mineral clay mined from the Atlas Mountains, where we would later visit) before again being doused with rose water. Different fragrances like Eucalyptus oil and others were used on us and after hair washing, we entered the sauna to spend time detoxing. More rose water later then into another room for a full body massage, including the
The waterman.The waterman.The waterman.

This colorfully dressed older gentleman, smiling broadly, walks around carrying water for sale from his leather container.
head. Soft candle lights and relaxing music completed the unbelievably relaxing environment, transporting body and spirit into a most surreal realm of tranquility. Frankly, I have never had such an invigorating spa experience. either before or since.
• Our visit to the Medina of Fes (Fez) transported us to the ninth century, almost literally. Fes (Fez) was the capital of Morocco until it was transferred to Rabat in 1912 but it retains its status as the country's spiritual and cultural centre. The madrasas, fondouks, palaces, residences, mosques and fountains date back to that early era. We walked over a hundred of its 12,000 narrow alley-like streets on which businesses of very kind flourish and serve the 500,000 people who live there. We were amazed and had difficulty absorbing the cultural shock of the moment, especially witnessing how people lived inside the Medina. Take a look at the picture depicting some of the homes inside the Medina. It was a bustling environment and the only means of transportation, the donkey, competed for space in the confined area. Stall after stall selling from fish to carpets coexisted while ladies poured over fires preparing meals for their customers. The oldest university in the world is situated there and we passed children at school as well as places of worship. We were in a totally different world to anything we had previously experienced. Watching a demonstration by a young man on an ancient wooden spinning machine was marvelous to watch. Requiring ten years of experience to operate, bare feet and hands in coordinated and fluent motion, his skill was stunning. Fluent in five languages yet seemingly trapped there, his world existed in the confines of the Medina. Perhaps he is one of the thousands who have never left it.
• Driving the eight hours into the Atlas Mountains, we were all looking forward to having breakfast with a Berber family as we made our way by coach through the arid landscape and up a winding road and eventually onto the family property. Extremely clean and orderly, avocado, orange, walnut, fig and other fruit trees were everywhere. Language was clearly a barrier but the warmth, friendliness and indisputable hospitality of the family were overwhelming. We were served homemade honey, olive oil, butter and flat bread along with wonderfully presented mint tea, dispensed from a traditional pot into colorfully decorated glasses. Young family members milled around us with broad smiles. We all felt special as our guide translated the conversation between our hosts and ourselves.
• One evening we set out to the Fantasia Show and Dinner at Chez Ali in Marrakech. Initially started as a celebration for the 70th birthday of Malcolm Forbes, this show continues and should be a must for any visitor as it was a spectacular Arabian Nights' experience. On arrival we were greeted by tribesmen with muskets, sitting on their horses. On entering the complex, different tribes welcomed us with music and dance as we made our way to the large tent for dinner. Our six course meal was typically delightful. While eating from the traditional Tagine, musicians, acrobats and dancers continued to entertain us near our table after which we proceeded to an outdoor arena. There we were treated to a spectacular show of horsemanship and trick riding of the highest caliber. It was an evening to remember.


I will leave my pictures to convey as best they can, enough of a sampling of this unknown country to most outsiders, in the hope that you will add it to your bucket list.

Your comments would be highly appreciated. There is provision for them at the end of the blog.




(Note: I publish this after the fact from the comfort of my home in Calgary, Alberta)


Additional photos below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

A evening in Fes.A evening in Fes.
A evening in Fes.

An evening in Fes (Fez) where women and their children strolled around enjoying the lights. We noticed the large number of men who sat in the coffee shops and restaurants nearby, seemingly gawking at passing foreign women.
Approaching the entrance of Fes (Fez) Medina.Approaching the entrance of Fes (Fez) Medina.
Approaching the entrance of Fes (Fez) Medina.

This little changed centuries old city houses 500,000 people.
Carpet selling within the Medina.Carpet selling within the Medina.
Carpet selling within the Medina.

Beautiful carpets that are readily packaged and shipped to the purchaser's home.


25th May 2016

We loved our two weeks in Morocco
We found the culture and the foods amazing and would be happy to go back. The Atlas mountain drive made me slightly queazy but I ended up ok once the driver slowed down a bit.
26th May 2016

Duly Impressed!
Roger/Jeanette- This is another fantastic account of your adventures which, happily, you share with us all. Thank you.
28th May 2016

morocco
Also one of the most interesting places I have ever been to.
31st May 2016

thanks
We always look forward to reading your blog and seeing all your posted pictures. You two should be travel consultants.

Tot: 0.502s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb