An uncovered long forgotten masterpiece


Advertisement
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
June 24th 2015
Published: August 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This was one of the main places in China that fascinated us long before considering a world trip or even a trip to China. The famed Terracota warriors - a long forgotten tomb housing a stone army with around 8000 life size soldiers each with their own distinguishable features, discovered in Xi'an in 1974. It was no longer forgotten or hidden as intended. Added to this amazing site, Xi'an also has ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 21


Advertisement







16th August 2015
This was some of the cheapest and tastiest foods we had in China

Yum!
I wish I could have this for dinner tonight (apart from P's green capsicum dish)!
17th August 2015
This was some of the cheapest and tastiest foods we had in China

Yum!
This was really tasty. The dish in front is mine (P's) and includes a mix of a fried tomatoes and egg, fried cabbage in a black pepper sauce and a flavoursome green beans mix. Was very tast. Chris had shreded potatoes, sweet chilli chicken and not sure what the third dish was, it from a vegetable that looks like a cucumber and tastes very sour (we both weren't very keen on this one). To our surprise we really liked Chinese food.
16th August 2015

Terracotta warriors
Definitely a must in Xian as you say. If you have not passed on yet try to get to Han Yangling, sometimes called Han Jing Di, another terracotta warrior site near Xian Airport but from the next Dynasty after Qin, the Han. The terracotta armies of animals will blow you away.
17th August 2015

Terracota Warriors.
Wow sounds impressive! Unfortunately we missed it. We did intially intend on going to that site but were too tired in the end and so gave it a miss. We had read great reviews about it too. We will definately be back to China someday so it'll be on our not to missed list for next time.
16th August 2015

I really want to go there!
This is on my bucket list, the Terracotta soldiers in Xi'an is really fascinating. =)
17th August 2015

Terracota Warriors.
It really is great wonder not to be missed. The more we travel our bucket lists just keep getting longer! Sometimes I wonder whether its best to just be naive about the world but then that could never happen now!
17th August 2015

Big picture
Whoops, I thought the dish at the back was P's vego one. And thanks for including pictures showing the whole terracotta army site, I never knew that they were enclosed in that structure...I've only seen close up pictures of the statues before. Like you, whenever we come across big impressive iconic sites like this, we can't help but question the human misery that fuelled it all those centuries ago.
21st August 2015

Big picture
Us neither. The size of them is mind blowing which we did not fully anticipate ☺. Great travellers think alike Ren.
20th August 2015

Great Blogs
Hi Guys I started reading your blogs last week as part off my research for our upcoming trip in Feb. Your last blog is from end of June, have you stopped blogging? I really hope you add more soon. They are really good and very informative. Hope you are having a blast! Tina and Rob
21st August 2015

Great blogs
Thanks Tina and Rob. Its lovely to hear you are reading our blogs before your trip. Hopefully it will give you lots of inspiration. Would love to read yours too especially to see your take on some of the places we visit, possibly give us more inspiration too. P.s. the research bit is one of the many fun parts. Enjoy.
20th August 2015

Great Blogs
Ha, I just noticed they were actually published just a few days ago. Phew. I was dreading having to find a new blog that was 'my kinda blog'.
21st August 2015

updates
You got it. We're kinda behind in publishing. Up to date in writing but as we have to sort out pictures, ensure we have wifi connection and a free evening we roughly piblish a month or 2 afterwards. Its tricky blogging on the road but completely doable. Thanks for your lovely words about our blogs, as they reflect our opinions/personalities sometimes we question whether they will appeal to many so its lovely to hear people keep reading ?

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb