Destination Choina.....Guangzhou and Honkers!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
April 28th 2011
Published: April 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Destination China began before we even landed. Our predominantly Chinese populated flights from Mumbai to KL and KL to Guangzhou certainly gave us an introduction to just how loud the Chinese people seem to be. Talking seems to consist of not calm and measured speech but outright shouting at one another, regardless of whether the intended recipient is close or not. The flights all in all were relatively painless however – the need for sleep outweighed the noise level. KL was a nice stopover destination also, essentially because they had a little rest area with big comfy seats and, more importantly, the Blue Jays were playing the Yankees on the box. Finally arriving in China, immigration was not a hassle although we got the expected stern welcome. The cabs were pretty easy to find (English signs in abundance) and we were soon on our way to Ade and Jaz’s in Guangzhou. Our caution with getting ripped off by taxi drivers (3 months in India to blame) wasn’t necessary – the process was easy enough and we paid what we should have. We got up to Ade’s place and were soon inside courtesy of the key left under the mat. Ade and Jaz were home from work not too long after and the first beer was soon cracked. Soon after we headed up to the top of a nearby building for another beverage and for views over the vast expanse of smoggy Guangzhou. Hunger struck and a place for dinner was soon found. We all shared numerous Chinese dishes, the best of which were one with broccoli and another with very spicy prawns. We were all finishing up when some us noticed Ade had been gone from the table for at least 10-15 minutes. After playing a guessing game for a while I went to the toilet area and found him locked in….seemingly the lock had broken. Graham, a Kiwi guy with us, came to the rescue and knocked Ade’s door in so he could escape. I think my belly is still sore from laughing about it! Home followed and bed beckoned after a long day.

I rose at 9.30ish and Zoe slept until 11.30. Jaz had to head to work and Ade was up at the crack of dawn with her. Ade and I did nothing much until Zoe surfaced and we could head out exploring. On our way out to the train station we stopped in at a little restaurant and grabbed a bowl of noodles. Ade, with his impressive Chinese, ordered and we didn’t get dog (seemingly)….although there was quite a hairy piece of meat in my bowl. Onwards we went and we jumped on the subway to Yuexiu park. Entering into the park the first thing that caught our eyes were the plaques of excellence! There were plaques everywhere informing us about what our eyes were feasting on. Over the course of a few hours we saw the following plaques; Outstanding Paving, Paving of Excellence (my favourite), Best Store, Nice Store, Outstanding Store and last but not least, Excellent Parking Lot. Chinglish of Excellence if you ask me. Overawed by the paving we then made our way to Zhenhai tower and had a look about. Up the top we got a good view over the city but couldn’t really see too far for all the fog. Once descended we took a squiz through an exhibit on Sun Yat Sen and the revolution that he essentially led…..interesting. The nearby Sun Yat Sen Monument then beckoned us and we went up the hill for a look. Ade then guided us to statues of the Five Rams….apparently those which fairies rode down on from up above and founded Guangzhou. After an afternoon walking about we were beat so we headed back to Ade’s and awaited Jaz’s return from work. When she got home we headed out for dinner at a nearby Chinese restaurant. On the menu we had yak (pretty much the same as roast beef) and also an array of edible flowers…..not too bad. The night was also kept interesting by the dancing waiters – and nope, Ade didn’t lock himself in the toilet this evening. Home and then bed.

The following morning was an early one – up at the crack of dawn to get the train to Hong Kong. Only a two hour trip the ride was painless. We cleared immigration in no time and were soon out, but out in the grey clouds and fog. The four of us wandered down to the Avenue of Stars and checked out the Chinese film stars of which we only knew Jackie Chan and Jet Li. We also loved Li Tit…..very mature! Across Victoria Harbour was the famous Hong Kong skyline….although it was virtually obscured by the poor visibility. Nonetheless impressive – but fingers crossed for the clouds to blow away pronto. We then jumped on the subway, pooped under the harbour and found the way to our hostel. Despite all the signs saying the hostel was illegal, it seemed ok and our room was sleepable. We then found a place to grab some Thai for lunch and it went down well. Indecisiveness then struck – shopping was briefly contemplated, followed by thoughts of changing clothes. A decision was finally made – the girls would shop (Zoe was excited by being in the proximity of a H&M) and the boys would drink beer. A suitable solution. Ade and I downed a beer at one joint but not much was doing. We then wandered to another place and watched some rugby while discussing the virtues of religion….go figure. We met up with the girls soon after, wandered about and eventually found a great spot to sit down on the harbour and watch the lights kicking into gear at sunset. A glass of red later we then headed down to the ferry and caught it across to Tsim Sha Tsui to catch the light show. The ferry ride was great but the light show disappointed….more lasers required! We lost interest and headed back across the harbour, traipsed up the escalator lined hills (brilliant) and found a Mexican place for dinner. Full up, we moved on and found a little French bar to have cocktails and dessert while watching all the dolled up locals trying to stay upright in their super high heels. A lazy half hour or so later we were all knackered and decided to pack it in and hit the sack.

Another early morning….arrrghh! The easter bunny left us no chocolates unfortunately. The early rise was to beat the crowds on the tram ride up to The Peak (as the name suggests, The Peak is pretty much up the top of Honkers overlooking the city). A very steep ride up, we were there in a jiffy and checking out the views. Stunning! And to boot, we had a perfectly blue sky day, albeit with a smidgeon of smog. Great views and a skyline on par with NYC. After a while taking shots up here we grabbed a coffee before heading down. We then jumped on the tram back down and wandered back to the restaurant area for brunch. Thankfully we came across a joint that seemed to be run by Aussies. An awesome fry up was had. We then walked back down to the harbour, jumped on the ferry and got over to Tsim Sha Tsui??? for a view of the skyline with beautiful weather. Stunning once again. Our time in Hong Kong came to a quick end because I wanted to get back to Guangzhou to check it out a bit more. Back on the train, the early morning produced a nap. There in no time, we then headed back to Ade and Jaz’s to do a bag drop and quickly made our way to the Canton Tower. Ade, Jaz and I ascended while Zoe camped down the bottom. The view was pretty amazing but again the smog limited how far into the distance you could actually see. Jaz had a small ‘encounter’ with a pushy Chinese man trying to queue jump but we all managed to navigate the descent (numerous lifts) and find Zoe again (who had been stared at by countless Chinese suitors). We then checked out the river view (smog laden), then jumped on the subway to Shamian Island. After a brief wander through the historic streets we then found a place to camp beside the river for a while and have a beer. Rested, we then found our way to a street Ade was keen to take us to and found a little side street to have street food. The girls were a bit wary but Ade got some dumplings (nothing special) and he ordered me a noodle dish. Sick of walking, we then got a cab home and hit the sack.

And another early wake up. A very good cause though as we went to an Anzac Day dawn ceremony. It was nice to be able to mark the day, albeit in China. We even had Chinese dignitaries there to check out the proceedings. We then headed back to Ade and Jaz’s, had some vegemite on toast (Anzac Day after all) and hung about before catching a cab out to the airport for our flight to Xi’an.



Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb