Central China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
November 25th 2005
Published: November 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route of Paris Yaffe


Additional maps: Untitled

We arrived in Beijing on the 15th and were met at the airport by our travel guide, Helen. She drove us to our hotel. Our hotel room had a tv and a computer with internet. The next morning we woke up early and our guide took us to a huge plaza where beggers tried to sell us hats and fake Rolex watches (Tianamen Square). Then we went to the Forbidden City. It was very big and a lot of the bridges and walls were made of marble. We spent a long time there looking at builidings, statues and other things. We then went to the Temple of Heavan which was very cool.

We went to a restaurant and had Peiking Duck which was very greasy. Then our guide took us to a chinese opera. After the first act we wanted to leave and die in a corner. The second act was a good story with actors doing flips and juggling.

The next day we were driven to the Great Wall. It was a wall. It seemed to go on for a long time (over 4,000 miles?) We saw camels and lots of people selling stuff on the wall. On
Tianamen SquareTianamen SquareTianamen Square

The big plaza.
the steep part of the wall, I slid down the railing.

We visited the Ming Tomb which was deep underground. We also walked the Sacred Path that had elephants, camels, lions, soldiers and xie-zhi, some kind mix of a dragon and a unicorn.

We left Beijing after 4 days and took an overnight train to Xian. The train took 12 hours. We went in a soft sleeper car. We had our own room with 4 beds (bunkbeds)and a TV with only one channel that we couldn't turn off. When we got off the train at 7 am, a woman wearing full black leather told us she could take us to a good hotel for a cheap price. We got rooms for $30 a night.

Xian City has a 700 year old mosque and a drum tower that has been drumming in the early evening for the past 800 years. We did a lot of walking in the muslim quarters.

A taxi took us the the museum of the terracotta warriors. See pictures.

We left Xian for Chengdu. We went to see the Giant Pandas and the smaller red pandas. See pictures. While walking throught the
Forbidden palaceForbidden palaceForbidden palace

This stone was carved out of one piece of marble and slid on the ice in the winter to get it to the palace.
Tibetan quarter of Chendu, my dad gave money to some beggers. A bunch of beggers started to follow us down the street for 20 minutes. When my dad said no, one guy with no legs rolling on a wheeled platform kept saying no, no, no...We finally got away by going in a university. That night we flew to Kunming.

At Kunming airport we got in a black car with a woman who said she would take us to our hotel. When driving into town she said we should go to her hotel. She was very aggresive. She kept saying she didn't know where our hotel was. My mom jumped out of the car at a stop and insisted that she give us our luggage that was in the trunk. The woman kept screaming at us and followed us into a fancy hotel that we had stopped in front of. She hung around the hotel for awhile trying to get us back in her car. We think she was crazy. We waited until she left and then took a taxi and it was 1:00 o'clock am by the time we got to our hotel.


My opinion of China
Teracotta Warriors #2Teracotta Warriors #2Teracotta Warriors #2

More warriors.
is that everyone is always working, and trying to make money. China now has McDonals, KFC's and other american stuff. They also make most of the brand products that we see at home.

My parents are planning a trek through some rice fields in southern China, a week of walking. Oh, and there has been a lot of internet cafes and computers everywhere. The internet service is just slow. We are going to Myanmar (Burma) after China.

Today my dad had a bad reaction to eating Sechuan chilis. He ate the whole plate of meat in red chiles and then turned bright red. He had to go back to his room at the hotel and I took a picture of him. He won't let me send it...maybe next time.

Paris Yaffe










Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Hutong RickshawHutong Rickshaw
Hutong Rickshaw

Beijing old neighborhood rickshaw ride.
Sacred pathSacred path
Sacred path

Walking the sacred path.
Stone ElephantStone Elephant
Stone Elephant

Sacred Way to the Ming Tombs.
Great Wall of ChinaGreat Wall of China
Great Wall of China

It was a wall.
Great Wall SlidingGreat Wall Sliding
Great Wall Sliding

The railings were a fast way to desend.
No BrakesNo Brakes
No Brakes

It was steep.
ChengduChengdu
Chengdu

Du Fu's cottage
Chendu 2Chendu 2
Chendu 2

Downtown
Giant PandaGiant Panda
Giant Panda

They were eager to perform for us.
Red PandaRed Panda
Red Panda

Red Pandas at the Panda breeding center.
Baby Panda Baby Panda
Baby Panda

This baby was in the nursery.


26th November 2005

Hi from Wyoming. This post gave us some big laughs. We are very much enjoying your travelblog. The photos are wonderful. We received your postcard from Japan. What a great trip. You're really seeing the world. Thanks for sharing it with us. Love from Andy and me, Nancy
26th November 2005

Happy Thanksgiving
Your trip sounds AMAZING in every way. I enjoy reading your blogs. Continue to have a wonderful, safe and exciting adventure! The Levins
26th November 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!
It looks like you guys are having a great experience. Your pictures are great and I really enjoy your travelogue Paris. Keep it coming. We miss having you all so close by but are happy your trip is going so well. Happy Thanksgiving!
27th November 2005

wow!
am enjoying the adventure vicariously....thanks for keeping us posted...be well! your cousin, aviva
27th November 2005

we so enjoy getting your blogs. What a great experience for you.
27th November 2005

what a great adventure!
28th November 2005

Continue your journey
Great travel experience!
28th November 2005

Continue your journey
What a wonderful travel experience!, I am looking forward your new blog coming.
28th November 2005

lucky travelers
Hi Paris and company, China looks spectacular! How is it spending so much time with your teacher, mom and dad? You are certainly having the education of a lifetime!!! Keep up the blog, I love it and have been sharing it with other family members!
29th November 2005

Great Pictures
I am enjoying your travels! I also received your post card and shared it with some students. Safe journey...
4th December 2005

northrops
Paris The photos and commments were wonderful. I laughed at the monkeys,and loved all the adventures. China looks beautiful, I think you are so lucky to get your education up close and personel. Lawrence was cancer free last operation and I pray he stays that way. Lawrence has signed up for college again and is out having fun with friends. Family shared all emails from you and Natalie at Thankgiving at France's house this year. A sprinkling of snow and lots of loving family made it a true thankful day.
4th December 2005

Thanksgiving
Paris, I have been getting your messages, they are funny and very informative. I loved the one about the agresive monkeys. I just went to France's house for thanksgiving. The majority of our clan was there. It was great, the snow god gave us a few inches of snow it was beautiful.

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 15; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb